SoBe Pilates's Xtend Barre workout will have you using muscles that have been dormant for decades.
Xtend Barre at Sobe Pilates
950 Arthur Godfrey Cswy., Miami Beach; 305-763-8878
For class schedules visit www.sobepilates.com
There's a reason that people covet the "dancer's body" -- the lean, sinewy, muscular physique that is dimple-free and cut in all the right places. SoBe Pilates, a studio recently opened on Arthur Godfrey Cswy., has a class that attempts to help you achieve just that. Their Xtend Barre class lets you plié your way to tighter thighs, a firmer butt and will target your saddlebags in a way you never thought possible.
The class is a potpourri of techniques, mixing Pilates moves, calisthenics, cardio, weights and abdominal exercises. But it is the bar work that will have your legs shaking underneath you, giving you flashbacks to those childhood ballet classes.
Instructor Tina Bassanese gently minds the class, pulling shoulders back into "proud" position, squaring unruly hips and counting down reps. But when she has you on your third set of plie squats in the second position with your feet in relevé, you know she means business.
The class is a great total body workout, you won't believe how heavy the two-pound weights will feel in your hands on the upper body portion ,and the abs section is challenging but not impossible. The bar work focuses on glutes, inner and outer thighs and buns and will have you huffing and puffing. The class is primarily fitness fanatics, but not intimidating.
SoBe Pilates doesn't require memberships, participants just pay as they go. Each group class costs $34, but packages are available. For more information and schedules visit www.sobepilates.com.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15