Wynwood Kitchen & Bar
Upscale comfort food, craft beer & blue chip art combine in Wynwood
Wynwood Kitchen & Bar
2550 NW 2nd Ave, Miami
The goods: Miami’s gritty gallery district is now home to an American brasserie with upscale comfort food, craft beers and plenty of blue-chip art. For all that, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar is plebian-friendly with a reasonably priced menu and a casual, come-as-you-are atmosphere. It’s brought to us by real estate developer and arts patron Tony Goldman and his daughter, Jessica Goldman Srebnick, whose son and brother runs the nearby Joey’s.
Ambience: Outfitted with primary-colored plastic chairs, the patio is dominated by Shepard Fairey murals. The creator of the Obama “Hope” poster also had a hand, along with a dozen other pop artists, in the interior murals that frame the wide-open bar and concrete-floored dining room outfitted with deep leather booths.
The grub: Chef Marco Ferraro (Wish) has created a menu of accessible, Mediterranean-inflected pub grub. Starters are $8-$12, sandwiches average $14 and most mains are under $20. There’s also an extensive beer list with six on tap including Nostradamus Brown Ale from Belgium and Paulaner Hefe-Weizen from Germany.
Start off with crispy, battered and fried artichoke hearts accompanied by a yuzu aioli or one of a half-dozen sausages including veal with horseradish sauce and lamb with mint sauce. The roasted beet salad is topped with Gruyere cheese foam, oranges and toasted walnuts. Mains include six homey clay-pot stews like braised lamb with mint and sour cherries and chicken curry with ginger and cilantro. Sides include a rich mac and cheese, fried eggplant and ratatouille. Don’t miss the $3 “Jessica’s Cookie” -- an oversized chocolate sandwich cookie accompanied by a mug of spiced milk. Bread pudding, cheesecake and ice creams in flavors of coconut and pumpkin pie round out the sweets.
Verdict: An art-soaked urban diner in Wynwood with great craft brews and gussied-up comfort food.
- Tom Colicchio's Beachcraft opens with earnest seasonal cooking
- Tantalize tempts with dancers and churrasco
- Michelle Bernstein is back at her flagship, now called Cena
- Brad Kilgore wants to alter your perceptions at Alter
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start