Wyclef Jean brings "Purpose" to Miami
Former Fugee dishes on affair with Lauryn Hill, Haiti and more in memoir, which he will be in Miami promoting this Friday.
Wyclef Jean presents "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story"
Friday, Sept. 28 at 7:30 p.m.
Miami Dade College Chapman Conference Center, 300 NE Second Ave., Miami
So it turns out that Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean were making a lot more than music while they recorded their hip-hop classic "The Score," which came out in 1997 and went on to sell 17 million copies. The love affair (which happened while Jean was married) was both responsible for the Fugee magic - Wyclef told NPR's Michel Martin that without their romance, the music " would have been impossible" - and caused the eventual disintegration of the group.
Wyclef Jean dishes on that chapter of his life and more in "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story," a memoir which he presents to Miami audiences this Friday at Miami Dade College Chapman Conference Center at an event that will be both literary and musical (he will bust out his guitar at the end and sing a few songs).
His book goes into details about his failed presidential bid, which was rejected because he didn't fulfill the residency requirements and the controversy surrounding the finances of his Yele Haiti Foundation, which he still maintains are transparent.
Tickets for the event are required and cost $10 at are available at Books & Books locations; the cost of the ticket can be used towards the purchase of "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story" ($26.99).
See and Do
- Wizard World Comic Con takes over the Broward Convention Center
- 15 things to do with the kids Sept 28 - Oct 4: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Ultimate guide to luxury seats at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 25-27
- House of Horrors kicks off this weekend with a concert by Silentó
- Bay Skate rolls back into Bayfront Park with a free skating party
- Broward County celebrates its 100 year anniversary with Neil Goldberg's extravaganza 'WE'
- Concerts usher in the musical sounds of the new season
- PARK(ing) Day Miami 2015 returns this Friday with mini parks popping up all over Miami
- Free and Cheap things to do in Miami Sept. 18-20