Wyclef Jean brings "Purpose" to Miami
Former Fugee dishes on affair with Lauryn Hill, Haiti and more in memoir, which he will be in Miami promoting this Friday.
So it turns out that Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean were making a lot more than music while they recorded their hip-hop classic "The Score," which came out in 1997 and went on to sell 17 million copies. The love affair (which happened while Jean was married) was both responsible for the Fugee magic - Wyclef told NPR's Michel Martin that without their romance, the music " would have been impossible" - and caused the eventual disintegration of the group.
Wyclef Jean dishes on that chapter of his life and more in "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story," a memoir which he presents to Miami audiences this Friday at Miami Dade College Chapman Conference Center at an event that will be both literary and musical (he will bust out his guitar at the end and sing a few songs).
His book goes into details about his failed presidential bid, which was rejected because he didn't fulfill the residency requirements and the controversy surrounding the finances of his Yele Haiti Foundation, which he still maintains are transparent.
Tickets for the event are required and cost $10 at are available at Books & Books locations; the cost of the ticket can be used towards the purchase of "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story" ($26.99).
Wyclef Jean presents "Purpose: An Immigrant's Story"
Friday, Sept. 28 at 7:30 p.m.
Miami Dade College Chapman Conference Center, 300 NE Second Ave., Miami
See and Do
- Our favorite Miami stories this week
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 29-31
- 6 Best Places to Take Miami Newbies
- 5 things that will always remind you you're in Miami
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami