World Music Awards scheduled for Marlins Park canceled
Mystery surrounded annual event tied to charity
The mystery of the World Music Awards is solved.
It's been canceled once and for all, say organizers.
The official statement: “We are sorry for any inconvenience but this decision had to be made due to logistical and multiple visa issues and in view of this week’s national mourning.”
A press release issued on Dec. 13 said the WMAs would raise funds for Superstorm Sandy victims and “be beamed to 180 countries reaching a billion viewers.”
Less than two weeks ago it was announced that the Eurocentric event, usually held in Monaco, would take place on Dec. 20 at Marlins Park. What wasn't announced was the name of a single performer. A vague press release over the weekend announced a date change to the 22nd and touted awards for several big names, including Jennifer Lopez, Earth, Wind & Fire, Tony Bennett, Gloria Estefan and One Republic (not One Direction as was mistakenly reported in Scene in the Tropics).
The only major act promised to actually perform was Bennett. Not so, said a Rogers and Cowan spokesman for Bennett, saying the famed jazz crooner was never slated to appear. Mark Young, a past World Music Awards producer and publicist for Jennifer Lopez and Earth, Wind & Fire contacted us saying, "Neither Jennifer or EWF are confirmed to participate on the show. Jennifer has a sold out concert in Puerto Rico as the final stop for her Dance Again World Tour on December 22. The show has been sold-out for months.
And a U.S. label publicist for Brazilian star Michel Telo, another act supposedly performing, also said Telo would be a no show.
On Our Radar
- Tryouts for Estefan musical at Arsht
- Erasure kicks off its world tour at The Fillmore
- Bon Jovi rocker Tico Torres a SoBe fixture
- Antonio Banderas has a ball in Miami, celebrates birthday
- Artist Shepard Fairey talks Hennessy bottle design in Wynwood
- New Miami Heat players spotted around town
- Robin Williams mourned at South Beach hotel
- Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders reveal 2015 swimsuit calendar at LIV nightclub
- Brittny Gastineau has fun in the sun in Miami
- Hulu star Ray Diaz comes home to Miami