The world on her shoulders
Miss World Alexandria Mills excited about recent win
Newly crowned Miss World Alexandria Mills decided on Miami as her first stop in the U.S. for the Trump family's annual I Have a Dream Foundation gala at Acqualina Resort & Spa Tuesday night. The recent high school grad from Kentucky, 18, is the third American to take the title in 60 years. Mills is well aware of the honor and pretty blown away.
"To think of it, I get cold chills," she said. "There were 115 women from 115 countries, and they were all so lovely. I felt bad for the judges; I'm sure it was dif- ficult." What tipped the pendulum in her favor?
"I feel that I was chosen for a reason," said Mills, who wants a career in teaching or photography. "The judges saw something in me that I haven't necessarily seen in me yet."
Event starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Fontainebleau Hotel.
On Our Radar
- Jennifer Lopez to perform free concert at Bayfront Park in support of Hillary Clinton
- Which Miami neighborhood will be the next to be ‘Art-Washed’?
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Larsa and Scottie Pippen to divorce after 19 years
- Boo Madea star Tyler Perry: I don't like Halloween
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street