The world on her shoulders
Miss World Alexandria Mills excited about recent win
Event starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Fontainebleau Hotel.
Newly crowned Miss World Alexandria Mills decided on Miami as her first stop in the U.S. for the Trump family's annual I Have a Dream Foundation gala at Acqualina Resort & Spa Tuesday night. The recent high school grad from Kentucky, 18, is the third American to take the title in 60 years. Mills is well aware of the honor and pretty blown away.
"To think of it, I get cold chills," she said. "There were 115 women from 115 countries, and they were all so lovely. I felt bad for the judges; I'm sure it was dif- ficult." What tipped the pendulum in her favor?
"I feel that I was chosen for a reason," said Mills, who wants a career in teaching or photography. "The judges saw something in me that I haven't necessarily seen in me yet."
On Our Radar
- John Turturro to be honored at MIFF
- Cadillac V-series Challenge puts pro golfers, VIPs on the fast track at Homestead-Miami Speedway
- Oprah's Fisher Island home sells again
- Shirley MacLaine to appear at Miami International Film Fest
- Beckhams won't move into Versace mansion
- Celeb spotting: Prime 112 sees a lot of action
- Kim Kardashian's ex husband sells home
- Boca Raton sixth-grader has dog shampoo in Oscars bag
- Chef Fabio Viviani shows off kitchen skills
- Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio at restaurant site