Woodystock, Burger Beast anniversary, Jada Coles new locale
This week check out Woodystock, a concert to raise funds for spinal cord injuries, celebrate the Burger Beast's anniversary and check out Jada Coles' new spot.
The Belly of the Beast
While food blogs these days may be a dime a dozen, there are some which are actually informative, entertaining, credible and long-lasting, just like the one helmed by the omnivorous Burger Beast aka Sef Gonzalez. From 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, Sept. 23 at Sakaya Kitchen's Downtown Miami location (125 SE 3rd Ave.), Gonzalez and his loyal fans, disciples and assorted entourages will celebrate an impressive five year "blogiversary" with a la carte food from Sakaya, Black Brick, Eating House, M.E.A.T. Eatery and Taproom, Mojo Donuts, as well as beer specials, Beast-o-bilia and good times.
While it's no doubt that some males act like prehistoric creatures when they get some booze and music in them, at Rec Room's Man Cave Mondays (1690 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) expect more of a better behaved, retro testosterone infused situation featuring Monday Night Football, vintage football video games and surprise giveaways. The new weekly 'do kicks off every Monday at 6:30 p.m.
In 2011, James "Woody" Beckham was seriously injured playing rugby for FAU in a game against the University of Miami and became paralyzed from the chest down. After being operated on by Jackson Memorial's renowned neurological team, Beckham began a rapid recovery; one he hopes that others in need will also be able to experience via the First Annual Woodystock, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday at Peacock Park in Coconut Grove. In addition to a concert featuring Cris Cab, Jahfe, Lance-O and others, there will be local artists and food vendors. The after party is at Sandbar Sports Grill. Admission is free, but $10 donations are appreciated as proceeds will benefit The Woody Foundation. For more information, go to www.woodyfoundation.org.
The Colest Crowd
Not only does the place have a cool name (though if your significant other said they're spending the night at Jada Coles, it could be briefly troublesome), but Jada Coles' new location at 2845 Coral Way exudes that intimate, laid back, groovy vibe with live music and some awesome daily happy hours. As for the live music, Hialeah's fusionistas Electric Piquete just signed on for a monthly residency beginning Sept. 20. Drink specials include $6 vodka drinks, $4 Miller Light and Red Stripe and more. There is no cover. For more information, go to www.JadaColes.com.
Back in the day, many an imbiber chased their drinks at Segafredo on Lincoln Road with peanuts, potato chips and, if you were drinking enough, some free pieces of cut up pizza. Now 'fredo has upped its munchie ante by offering an "insider' happy hour from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday featuring a free buffet, yes, a stuff your face buffet featuring bruschetta, marinated olives, salads, antipasto, caprese, charcuterie and more. Wowzers. Almost like a cruise ship but this time the drunken captains are on land. It’s a great way to experience local culture, people-watch, and unwind with a drink after a long day of working, sightseeing, or sunbathing. "Segafredo's happy hour aperitivo buffet offers our guests a way to take the edge off of their hunger in between lunch and a late dinner,” says General Manager and Co-Owner Luca Voltarel.
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
- Velvet Underground: the Regent Cocktail Club channels Spain on Mondays, Wonderland serves food with a twist, and plenty of party spots for Super Bowl Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Drink around the world in the Design District, go on a Mystery Date for MOCA, and let a lo-fi folk singer serenade you at the Freehand
- Velvet Underground: Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana play in North Beach, the Taj Mahal in Sunny Isles, and a block party on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables
- Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road
- Happy hour at PB Steak, Sunday pool parties at Mayfair Hotel and Bingo at The Standard