Winter Music Conference 2012 will be at Beachplex, tent on 21st and Collins on Miami Beach
Custom-designed tent by Eventstar also houses Funkshion Fashion Week
For many of the throngs of dance-music lovers who have taken over Miami each March for Winter Music Conference week, the official conference itself is largely irrelevant. Most revelers who travel from all over the world are here to party to the beats of superstar DJs such as Tiesto, Paul van Dyk and Deadmau5 at hundreds of satellite events around the Beach, and don't even consider registering for WMC.
This year, that all might change.
In the past, WMC proper was held in relatively remote locations such as the Radisson Deauville Beach Resort on 67th and Collins Ave., or the Eden Roc, a few miles to the south. But for 2012, WMC organizers are building the Beachplex - a custom-designed, air-conditioned tent complex at 21st and Collins, right smack in the middle of the action. And they’re teaming up with Funkshion Fashion Week, which will also influence some of the events WMC puts on, said co-founder Louis Possenti in a statement: “This partnership is a perfect fit, given the synergy between music and fashion. As part of this partnership WMC will be programming additional events related to fashion and music during its opening weekend.”
WMC is also teaming up with nearby hotels - including The Catalina, The Palms, The Tradewinds, The Riviera, Circa 39 and the Grand Beach - to offer discounted rates for WMC 2012 delegates (book rooms through the WMC Housing Bureau at www.WinterMusicConference.com).
You can buy the WMC industry badge for $345 ($140 off the walk-up rate) until Jan. 11. What does that get you? Registration includes access to panels, seminars, workshops, the 27th-annual International Dance Music Awards, official WMC poolside events and much more, plus complimentary or reduced admission to WMC official and sanctioned events.
The 10-day conference runs from March 16-25.
- Go Drink This: Spicy Sipper
- Rock legends, beer, booze, an 80s prom & Greased Lightning, Charlie Brown
- Go Drink This: Positano
- Ball and Chain in Little Havana brings the Brazilian Girls to Miami
- Wynwood Art Auction, P.I.G. & funk 'n' jazz
- Go Drink This: Port of Call
- Sidebar opens in Little Havana, A Night in Monte Carlo (in Coral Gables), "Bette Midler" at the Cabaret and Full Mooning in Wynwood
- Miami duo launches high-tech InList app for nightlife experiences
- Gallery: Halloween on Lincoln Road 2014
- Go Drink This: Pumpkin Rum Old Fashioned