Winner of first Star Search coming to Aventura
Sam Harris, 52, is still a ham
Thirty years after winning the first season of TV's Star Search, entertainer Sam Harris admits he is something of a Ham. Ham: Slices of Life is the title of Harris' recent collection of 16 memoirs. It is also the basis for his new stage show, which he performs Thursday at Aventura Arts & Cultural Center. "I refer to it as a 'liter-usical' because it is literary and it is musical," Harris says. "It’s a theater piece that we are playing in theaters, that we’re touring everywhere." Harris, 52, says the greatest challenge with Ham (the musical) "was to find stories within 305 pages that we could create a linear show, that has stories from childhood, celebrities and parenthood. It’s mixed with songs." Among stories Harris tells in the book: a sexy game of strip poker with another chorus boy when they toured as kids in Gypsy; rehab with his close friend Liza Minnelli; how he and husband Danny Jacobsen are raising their adopted son, Cooper Atticus Harris-Jacobsen, now 5. "It’s a non-chronological collection of stories and essays," Harris says of Ham. "It’s not an autobiography. It’s certainly memoirish by definition, because it’s my stories. There is more to come from here. There will be more books. That was the intention, also, in keeping it non-chronological."
On Our Radar
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach