Wine & Food Fest Preview: Spike Mendelsohn
Talking burgers, fries, parties & SBWFF with reigning Burger Bash champ Spike Mendelsohn
Burger Bash @ South Beach Wine & Food Festival
Thursday, Feb 25, 6:15-10pm
Ritz Carlton South Beach
$200 general admission, $300 VIP (both sold out)
How does it feel to be the returning champ?
I’m excited, this year has gone by so quickly, I just feel like it was just a couple weeks ago I was in South Beach. Burger Bash is an amazing event & this year they really stepped up the roster of chefs. I’m still one of the younger chefs there, so it’s always a little nerve wracking, but we have a lot of fun and we kind of think we know what people like at the Bash.
And what can we expect from your booth this year?
We’re trying some new stuff but I don’t want to give it away. We’re keeping it a surprise.
Tell us this then - what makes a great burger?
Definitely the blend of meat, I love to use the meat pure and keep a good fat ratio – 20-25% fat, chuck, sirloin & short rib. Then you get a nice salt and pepper season and a great bun – it’s super important that you have really great bread. And really great cheese. I think bacon in a burger is something you should really go with, plus we do a lot of toppings. You’ve got to have a little bit of texture.
Fries or onion rings?
A bag of Funions. I say fries, double fried fries, pure potato fry with cracked black pepper and salt.
What are you favorite events at the Festival?
There are some really amazing events going on. I’m going to try to squeeze in as many as can. Maybe Bubble Q – that’s always a great event. And there’s nothing like going to the tents, drinking the wine & mingling. I’m such a water & beach guy, part of going to the festival is just spending as much time on the beach as possible, meeting people, people watching, walking, going into the stores.
How does this festival compare to Aspen, NY & others?
South Beach is by far the biggest festival and it’s definitely the most fun. It’s the beach, it’s warm weather and it’s a lot of the true fans love food
Last year you were accused of rigging the vote with hot girls wearing “vote for Spike” buttons – any comments?
This year we’ve rented two sumo wrestlers to prove that theory wrong
- Event Notes: Breaking down the 2014 South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- Breaking down Eats & Beats in Miami's Design District
- The 10 best dishes from the 2014 South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- Uncorked 2014: Reports from the 2014 South Beach Wine & Food Festival
- 5 Things We Are Excited About at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- 10 Best of the (Unofficial) Best during Wine & Food Weekend
- Where to party beyond the party: SBWFF 2014 satellite events
- South Beach Wine & Food Festival spurs plenty of spillover parties
- Chef Andrew Zimmern headlines 2014 South Beach Wine & Food Festival
- SBWFF 2014: Bring a taste of the Festival home with you with Marc Forgione