What to check out this week
SHOP Clever brands come and go, but here's hoping a new Miami-based lifestyle collection is going to hang around a while. Abnormal Ariginals, a whimsical mix of ``welcoming abnormality and a...
Oh, no, laundry day again. Feel good using Vaska on your duds. It cleans without harming people or the planet. Take its Herbatergent, which contains real lavender; the Herbasoft fabric softener with botanicals that leave no trace of wax or chemicals; or Spotoff, an all-natural stain remover with no dyes or fragrance. Perfect for the messy kiddos. The collection is from $9.99 at Target. vaskahome.com.
Fans who enjoy the sex and gore on Starz's Spartacus won't be disappointed when the show returns with Aussie hunk Dustin Clare taking the reins as lead gladiator. Producer Steven DeKnight told the AP ``there are some deaths that are so incredible you just have to rewind and watch again because you can't believe what you just saw.'' Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, debuting 10 p.m. Friday, is a prequel to the first season, in part to write around the fact that ailing star Andy Whitfield could not return; he'll make a brief cameo, though.
The ninth season of 24 should have been starting just about now -- except, of course, the hit ended (sob) last year. There may be a movie someday, but in the meantime, bereaved fans may wish to consult Gideon's War, a novel by Howard Gordon, the show's executive producer. The 49-year-old TV vet (Beauty and the Beast, The X-Files) began work on this thriller during the 2007 writers strike. It's about two brothers -- one supremely good, the other not -- whose lives were forged by the horror of their parents' murder-suicide. The kicker: Gideon Davis is the anti-Jack Bauer, a pacifist who can't even look at guns. A sequel, Allegiance, is due out next year.
On Our Radar
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening
- What's closed in Miami because of Hurricane Matthew