Take a trip around the globe on Weston Rd
The restaurant scene in Weston has become as diverse as the community. Whatever flavors you’re craving, chances are there is something on Weston Road that fits the bill.
- It’s easy to miss LA Rura (pictured), an Argentine grill hidden behind a butcher shop and grocery store in the Waterways Shoppes II. The owner started out selling certified Angus beef and Argentine specialty products, and gradually added tables in the back. Today it’s a full-service restaurant on a covered patio overlooking the lake behind the shopping center. Live music helps set the mood but also makes conversation difficult in the small space. The atmosphere and prices are best-suited to a date night. The menu is dominated by grilled steaks, but there are chicken and pasta dishes. Portions are large, and grilled items include a salad and side dish. A Tablita La Rural sampler includes flavorful cured pork sausage, blood sausage, pinwheel sausage, grilled peppers and sweetbreads with a nice balance of char outside and tenderness inside. The skirt steak was perfectly grilled and tender, as were meaty, cross-cut short ribs. The grilled chicken breast with lemon and pepper got high marks. A fresh-made apple crepe flambéed with rum and served with nut-coated vanilla ice cream finishes the meal on a sweet note.
- Like many Thai-Japanese restaurants, Moon Thai offers an overwhelming selection – two large menus that you could easily spend 30 minutes perusing. Even on a busy Saturday night, the staff was incredibly attentive and the food arrived quickly. Pad Thai with chicken and shrimp had just the right mix of peanut sauce and spice, although the portion was on the small side. Sushi rolls were another big hit, especially the Miami Dolphin roll with spicy dolphin (mahi-mahi), orange caviar, cucumber, scallion and salmon. Chicken lettuce wraps with shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts and chicken yakitori suit the less adventurous eaters. Skippy overly-doughy shrimp shumai.
- Lirio’s is a place for classic Italian comfort food with a cozy ambience and personal attention. An appetizer of shrimp with olive oil, parsley and garlic could make a meal for a light eater with a side salad. The veal parmesan was lightly breaded with just the right combination of sauce and cheese. Skip the tilapia Nicola, sautéed with portobello mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and shallots in a lemon butter wine sauce. The meal ended on an up note with a complimentary glass of crème liqueur.
2346 Weston Rd, Weston
Prices: Appetizers $3-$13.50, most grilled meats $18-$30, other entrees $12.50-$18
Moon Thai & Japanese
2818 Weston Rd, Weston
Prices: Appetizers $4.95-$12.95, entrees $8.95-$18.95, most sushi $4.95-$13.95
189 Weston Rd, Weston
Prices: Appetizers $7.95-$10.95, pasta $10.95-$14.95, most entrees $13.95-$18.95
- The Atlantic Hotel opens two new restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale Beach on April 4
- Weston's D’Angelo Pizza launches 12 for $12 lunch special
- Tsukuro launches "Lucky You" happy hour
- BC Cafe hosts beer pairing dinner March 29
- Grille 401 debuts sushi & sake bar on Las Olas
- Paula DaSilva hosts a three-month "Spring Awakening" brunch series at 3030 Ocean
- SAIA celebrates National Noodle Month with 25% off pad Thai shrimp
- Bite into something new this Feb: Restaurant openings in Wynwood, Fort Lauderdale & Aventura
- Toast National Margarita Day Feb 22
- SAIA woos AIA marathoners with a Feb 16 feast