Weekend Ticket - 9/4 through 9/6
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
FREE FOR ALL
Pianist/singer performs jazz, standards and blues.
Details: 9 p.m. at Florida Cigar Co., 1527 N. Federal Hwy.,Fort Lauderdale; 954-563-4677 or www.floridacigarcompany.com.
See "Rinoceronte" and more than 30 other works by contemporary Cuban artist at the opening reception of his exhibit "From a Strange Town."
Details: 7-10 p.m. at Cernuda Arte, 3155 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-461-1050 or www.cernudaarte.com; free.
MARCO ANTONIO SOLIS
Mexican balladeer and producer (Olga Tanon, Enrique Iglesias) performs.
Details: 8 p.m. at the AmericanAirlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 786-777-1000 or www.aaarena.com;$37-$127.
SPAM ALL STARS
Kick off your Labor Day Weekend with Miami's own Latin kings of fun and funk.
Details: 11 p.m. at Jazid. 1342 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-9372; $10.
FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
LET'S GET TOGETHER
The spirit of Bob Marley lives on as Bunny Wailer, an original member of the late reggae king's band, teams up with legendary producer Lee Scratch Perry.
Details: 11 a.m. at ArtsPark at Young Circle, 1800 Hollywood Blvd at U.S. 1, Hollywood; Ticketmaster; $35.
"NABOR DAY WEEKEND"
From Saturday through Monday, enjoy reduced rates ($10 a person, down from $29.99) and exhibits including Gator X-treme and three exotic animal shows.
Details: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at Jungle Island, 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, Miami; 305-400-7000 or www.jungleisland.com; $10.
The miracle that is PopLife celebrates its 10th year (a true lifetime in South Florida's ADD-addled club culture) of serving up hip beats and hipper scenes by moving from downtown Miami's White Room to the Design District's Electric Pickle.
Details: 10 p.m. at the Electric Pickle, 2826 N. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-456-5613; no cover before midnight, $10 afterward.
Let loose during Labor Day weekend with "Release Yourself" party DJ.
Details: 11 p.m.at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-695-8411 or www.mansionmiami.com; $20.
FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
WORLD BEAT MUSIC FESTIVAL
Bring the family to enjoy theatrical, fashion and dance performances, plus Julian Marley, Wayne Wade, Screwdriver, Phyllisia, Daniel Brown, Mariah & the Reggae All-Star Band and many more acts.
Details: 2-11 p.m. at the Palmetto Bay Village Center (Palmetto Bay Park on the Bay), 18001 Old Cutler Rd., Miami; 786-333-7637; $25, $10 kids 10 and under.
RAP IT UP
Hip-hop superman performs his biggest hit, "Lollipop," as well as tracks from albums "Tha Carter" I-III.
Details: 7 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center, 1 Panther Pkwy., Sunrise; Ticketmaster; $39.75-$79.75.
-- Mike Hamersly
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- SushiSamba celebrates Brazil's Carnaval on Lincoln Road and in Coral Gables on Tuesday night with live samba dancing, batucada drummers, DJs and specialty cocktails
- Coming soon to Wynwood: a craft beer bar called KUSH
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 28 - March 2
- Beloved South Beach DJ Mark Leventhal dies at 50 after nearly one month in the hospital
- Miami native Blake Lee to appear in ABC's new sitcom ‘Mixology’
- Soulfrito Urban Latin Music Festival brings the top urban and Latin acts
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 21-23
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District