Weekend Ticket - 9/11 through 9/13
Here are some ideas about what you could be doing this weekend.
FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
FREE FOR ALL
"The Sweet Life" party features DJs Paolo Albertoni, Marc Marshall and Aladdin, accompanied by Charles Robinson on sax;
Details: 11 p.m. at Gemma Lounge, 529 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-534-3662.
UNITED WE SERVE VOLUNTEER MIAMI DAY
Keynote speaker Mayor Carlos Alvarez, leading nonprofit organizations and the Arsht Center join forces to inspire volunteer work with live music by Spam Allstars and the Bahamas Junkanoo Miami Revue, business seminars, prizes and more.
Details: Noon-6 p.m. at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; www.arshtcenter.org; free.
FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 12
Local band plays sultry songs from its new CD "Memoirs at the End of the World."
Details: 3 p.m. at Bloomingdales in Aventura Mall, 19501 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; www.aventuramall.com; free.
FUTURE CLASSIC FESTIVAL
Rock/funk hip-hoppers N.E.R.D, featuring Pharrell Williams, headlines this music festival also starring local faves Awesome New Republic, Spam Allstars, Locos por Juana, Afrobeta and dozens more.
Details: 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Saturday at Soho Studios, 2136 NW 1st Ave., Miami; www.wanttickets.com/futureclassicfestival; $25-$70.
"SPIT-POLISHING A STARLESS SKY/OUTER SPACE"
See "Untitled(huey)" by Gavin Perry, plus works by Bhakti Baxter, Nicolas Lobo, Gean Moreno, Daniel Newman and Ernesto Oroza at the opening reception of the exhibit.
Details: 6-9 p.m., running through Oct. 5, at Charest-Weinberg Gallery, 250 NW 23rd St., Space 408, Miami; www.charest-weinberg.com; free.
After the Fish take care of the Washington Nationals, stick around for a concert by salsa king Willy Chirino.
Details: Game time is 6:10 p.m.; Land Shark Stadium, 2267 NW 199th St., Miami Gardens; www.floridamarlins.com; tickets start at $12.
"30 YEARS OF PUNK"
Help celebrate local music haven Churchill's 30-year anniversayr with acts including The Holy Terrors, The Crumbs and Charlie Pickett.
Details: 7 p.m. at Churchill's Pub, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-757-1807 or www.churchillspub.com; $10.
"DIOSAS, VIRGENES O MARTIRES?"
See "Virgen del Mar" by Carlos Acostaneyra and other works; partial proceeds benefit Lotus House.
Details: 8 p.m. at Zu Galeria Fine Arts, 2248 SW 8th St., Miami; 786-443-5872; free.
FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
PICKIN' AND GRINNIN'
Acts include local bands the New River Boys, Southern Shores, Corn Country, The Cruddy Puppets and more. Bring your instruments and join in!
Details: 12:30-5:30 p.m., at Greynolds Park, 17530 W. Dixie Hwy., North Miami Beach; 305-358-1800 or www.southfloridabluegrass.com; free admission, but parking is $5 per car, $10 per bus, truck or RV.
Violinist kicks off the annual Sunday Afternoons of Music series with works by Stravinsky, Beethoven, Copland, Gershwin and many more, accompanied on piano by Elizabeth Pridgen.
Details: 4 p.m. at Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music, University of Miami, 1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; 305-271-7150, www.sundaymusicals.org or Ticketmaster; $40, $32 seniors, $10 students.
STILL THE BOSS
Legendary rocker and his electrifying E Street Band perform classic including "Born to Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," "Hungry Heart," "Badlands," "The Promised Land," "The Rising" and more.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center, 1 Panther Pkwy., Sunrise; LiveNation.com; $39-$100.75, four-pack $50.82.
-- Mike Hamersly
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- MOVA Lounge hosts 5th annual Block Party for Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival
- Plans emerge to save Miami's oldest bar as owners announce sale of Tobacco Road
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 11 - 13
- Dita Von Teese takes it off for South Florida
- 'Cocktales: Confessions of a Nymphomaniac' debuts at Bardot and runs through April
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 4 - 6
- SL Miami at The James Royal Palm closes
- Top three takeaways from Miami Music Week and Ultra Music Festival