Weekend Ticket - 8/21 through 8/23
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FOR FRIDAY, AUGUST 21
THE ART OF BEER
HEINEKEN ART CRAWL
Celebrate the installation of Heineken's Miami art mural, designed by Kiki Valdes, and view works by other local Latin artists.
Details: Begins at 6 p.m. at Southwest 7th Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue, visiting various locations in the downtown Miami Brickell area, including Segafreda, Novecento and Piola; RSVP to nochelatina.com/heinekenmurals.
WHAT'S ON YOUR PLATE?
Documentary by Robert Kenner explores the tenuous relationship between food safety and big government.
Details: 7 p.m. Friday-Sunday at Miami Beach Cinematheque, 512 Espanola Way, Miami Beach; 305-673-4567 or www.mbcinema.com; $10, $7 members.
Band tours in support of its latest album "Hot Mess," featuring the single "Good Girls Gone Bad," featuring Leighton Meester.
Details: 8 p.m. at Respectable Street, 518 Clematis St., West Palm Beach; 561-832-9999 or www.respectablestreet.com; call for price.
JAM ON IT
COL. BRUCE HAMPTON AND QUARK ALLIANCE
Fans of the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead will love this psychedelic supergroup.
Details: 8 p.m. at Revolution Live, 200 W. Broward Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 954-727-0950 or www.jointherevolution.net; $17.
Will the "Undercover Brother" still dare to portray Michael Jackson on crack?
Details: 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Miami Improv, 3390 Mary St., #182., Coconut Grove; 305-441-8200 or www.miamiimprov.com; $37.45, plus two-drink minimum.
Former model from Amsterdam spins progressive house.
Details: 11 p.m. at SET, 320 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-531-2800 or www.setmiami.com; $20.
FOR SATURDAY, AUGUST 23
DREAMING IN STEREO
Brainchild of singer/songwriter Fernando Perdomo features flute virtuoso Cynthia Kivlan, bassist Roger Houdaille of Ex Norwegian and drummer Derek Cintron of Dc3.
Details: 8 p.m. at Sunset Cove Ampitheatre, 12551 Glades Rd., Boca Raton; 561-488-8069; $15.
MOVE YOUR FEET
BAD BOY BILL
Superstar DJ splices together dozens of high-energy house and trance tracks in rapid-fire fashion.
Details: 11 p.m. Saturday at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-532-1525 or www.mansionmiami.com; $20.
FREE FOR ALL
THE AUTEUR EXPLOSION
Monthly event gathers local creative forces, with the bands Pretty Please, Casual Suspects and MindYou; a tango and contortion show; films and art.
Details: 9 p.m. at Cinema Paradiso, 503 SE 6th St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-525-3456 or www.cinemaparadiso.org.
-- Mike Hamersly
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Miami DJs unite for a Sunday party series at Will Call debuting on the anniversary of Biggie Smalls' death
- SushiSamba celebrates Brazil's Carnaval on Lincoln Road and in Coral Gables on Tuesday night with live samba dancing, batucada drummers, DJs and specialty cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 28 - March 2
- Beloved South Beach DJ Mark Leventhal dies at 50 after nearly one month in the hospital
- Miami native Blake Lee to appear in ABC's new sitcom ‘Mixology’
- Soulfrito Urban Latin Music Festival brings the top urban and Latin acts
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 21-23