Weekend Ticket - 7/24 through 7/26
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FOR FRIDAY, JULY 24
AFRO-CUBAN DANCE FESTIVAL
Performance choreographed by Neri Torres explores multiracial relationships and social tolerance.
Details: 8 p.m. at Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus Centre Gallery, 300 NE Second Ave., Building 1, Third Floor, Miami; 305-237-7186; free.
AMERICAN LIVING UNSTOPPABLE TOUR
Country-rock trio performs smash hits including "Bless the Broken Road" and "What Hurts the Most," with Hootie & the Blowfish singer Darius Rucker opening.
Details: 8 p.m. at the Cruzan Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansbury's Way, West Palm Beach; LiveNation.com; $24-$192.
"THE TONERS LIVE!"
Comedy tells the tale of Tito and Che-Frio, two Miami dudes who make up The Toners, an unknown reggaeton band is search of stardom. But standing in their way are a 200-foot tall Shaq, Hugo Chavez with a light saber, and a Cuban Robo-Obama, among other preposterous obstacles.
Details: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 7 p.m. Sunday at New Theatre, 4120 Laguna St., Coral Gables; www.foryoucansee.com/tickets; $10.
FOR SATURDAY, JULY 25
The annual Vans Warped Tour features hundreds of modern-rock bands, including Bad Religion, All Time Low and 3OH!3. $32. Cruzan Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansbury's Way, West Palm Beach; 561-793-0445, www.warpedtour.com or www.LiveNation.com.
YOU'LL HAVE A BALL
BEACH BALL FESTIVAL
Watch Miami servers and bartenders go head-to-head in fun-in-the-sun games such as dodgeball and tug of war while sipping cocktails and enjoying the sounds of Mr. Sandman. Hosted by A3 and "Deco Drive" dude Buster.
Details: Noon-5 p.m. at the Gansevoort Hotel, 2377 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-604-1000; free.
SECOND CHANCE PROM
Dress up and dance to Tavares, The Jets, Expose and DJ Magic Mike; benefits the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at the James L. Knight Center, 400 SE Second Ave., Miami; 305-372-4634 or www.jlkc.com; $28-$54.
FOR SUNDAY, JULY 26
JUST SAY "I DO"
Play explores the hilarious ups and downs of marriage.
Details: 2 p.m. Sunday, running through Aug. 16 at the Actors' Playhouse at Miracle Theater, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables; 305-444-9293 or www.actorsplayhouse.org; $40.
JAZZ IT UP
"STRAIGHT JAZZ/NO CHASER"
Chill to the cool sounds of jazz singer Derin Young, who has performed with Lenny Kravitz and Living Colour, and Grammy-winning pianist Silvano Monasterios.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at the SoBe Institute of the Arts, 2150 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-9220; $20.
FREE FOR ALL
Groove to live music downstairs with 4th Dimension and Jahfe, while the Kulcha Shok Krew spins upstairs at Jazid.
Details: 10 p.m. at Jazid, 1342 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-9372 or www.jazid.net.
-- Mike Hammersly
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 25-27
- Florida band Anberlin says goodbye at Vans Warped Tour
- Mad Decent Block Party tour kicks off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go Drink This: SushiSamba's Pisco Sour
- Exclusive: The historic Ball and Chain bar and live music venue returns to Little Havana in September
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Svedka Vodka challenges bartenders nationwide to compete in the first annual Svedka Shakedown in Miami Beach
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach