Weekend Ticket - 6/19 through 6/21
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
For Friday, June 19
MIAMI GAY MEN'S CHORUS
"LOOK: BACK, INWARD & FORWARD"
The guys perform favorites including hits by Gloria Estefan, ABBA, Elton John and more, then get serious with Michael Shaieb's edgy "Through a Glass, Darkly," which addresses methamphetamine addiction; 8 p.m. Friday and 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday at the Colony Theater, 1040 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-674-1040 or www.miamigaychorus.org; $15-$30.
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
British superstar DJ, real name Norman Cook, spins his big-beat dance-floor classics including "The Rockafeller Skank," "Praise You," "Weapon of Choice," "Star 69" and "Right Here, Right Now."
Details: 10 p.m. Friday at LIV at the Fontainebleau, 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-538-2000; $45.
Hip-hop sextet performs in support of its new EP "Technology," as part of the Transit Lounge's 5th anniversary weekend celebration.
Details: 11 p.m. Friday at the Transit Lounge, 729 SW 1st Ave., Miami; 305-377-4628 or www.transitloungeus.com; free.
For Saturday, June 20
"THE NEW CENTURY"
South Florida premiere of renowned writer Paul Rudnick's comedy The New Century," about which the New York Times raved: "If Leno and Letterman regularly scored this ratio of hits to quips, much of America would be hospitalized with late-night laughter burn."
Details: 8 p.m. Saturday, running through July 19 at GableStage at the Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables; 305-445-1119 or www.gablestage.org; $37.50-$42.50.
STRAIGHT FROM "THE FRESH PRINCE"
DJ JAZZY JEFF
Shine's weekly event "Gossip" features the celebrity DJ, plus MC Madd Skillz, Mike Palmeri and Jon Cowan.
Details: 10 p.m. Saturday at the Shelborne Hotel, 1801 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1271 or RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veteran British DJ and producer rocks the crowd, with Liquid Todd opening.
Details: 10 p.m. Saturday at Gryphon at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 1 Seminole Way, near Hollywood; www.wantickets.com or 954-581-5454 for table reservations.
Aero Bar invites the ladies to enjoy free vodka cocktails from 10 p.m. till midnight and enjoy Miami.com's house DJ Crystal Anasazi as well as DJs Bruno and Aerial Assault.
Details: 10 p.m. Saturday at Aero Bar, 247 23rd St., Miami Beach; guest list available until 12:30 a.m.; aerobarmiami.com.
For Sunday, June 21
Chill out and listen to the sublime sounds of local songbird while munching on fantastic food.
Details: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday at the Setai Hotel, 2001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-520-6400 or www.setai.com; $68 adults includes unlimited Taittinger Champagne, Brut Prestige and Bloody Marys; $30 kids.
FETE DE LA MUSIQUE
Global music party features two hours of open-stage performances followed by shows by percussion troupe Venus Rising, Brazilian samba specialists Group Embalo, Latin funksters Lanzallamas Monofonica and DJ Pauer between sets.
Details: 5 p.m. Alliance Française, 618 SW 8th St., Miami; www.2009.makemusicmiami.com.
LOCAL BOYS MAKE GOOD
JACOB JEFFRIES BAND
Power-pop piano quartet channels Billy Joel and Ben Folds.
Details: 10 p.m. at Buck 15, 707 Lincoln Ln., Miami Beach; 305-534-5488; free.
Don't know where to take dad out for lunch, brunch or dinner today? We have you covered so dad's gets his fill! Click Here.
-- Mike Hammersly
- Prepare for a rum-soaked week as the Rum Renaissance Festival returns to Miami
- W South Beach Presents New W Speakerbox Concert Series
- Ultra Music Festival names retiring Miami Beach Police Chief Ray Martinez new security director
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 18 - 20
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- MOVA Lounge hosts 5th annual Block Party for Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival
- Plans emerge to save Miami's oldest bar as owners announce sale of Tobacco Road
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 11 - 13
- Dita Von Teese takes it off for South Florida