Weekend Ticket - 5/30-5/31
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
For Saturday, May 30, 2009
Hasidic rapper Matisyahu funks it up with Les Claypool, manic bassist/singer for irreverent alt-rock group Primus.
Details: 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Pompano Beach Amphitheatre, 1806 NE Sixth St., Pompano Beach; 954-946-2402; $31.50, four-pack $91.03 in advance.
BACK TO THE '80S
Taylor Dayne revisits her hits "Tell It to My Heart," "Prove Your Love" and "Love Will Lead You Back," with Rein-AlDo, Company B, Erotic Exotic, Safire and Debbie Deb also on the bill.
Details: 8 p.m. at BankUnited Center, 1245 Dauer Dr., Coral Gables; 305-284-8686 or www.bankunitedcenter.com; $28-$58.
Italian DJ Alex Gaudino mashes up party hits like "I Love Rock 'N Roll" and "Calabria" with heavy house beats. He stops in South Beach as part of his first U.S. tour.
Details: 11 p.m. at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; www.mansionmiami.com; $20.
For Sunday, May 31, 2009
PINT-SIZE POP STARS
SCHOOL OF ROCK
Not everyone who caught the flick where slacker/rocker Jack Black teaches his children well realized it was based on a true story. Here' s the real deal, as kids age 7 to 18 jam on classic cover tunes.
Details: 1 p.m. Sunday at Gibson Showroom, 180 NE 39th St., Miami; 305-969-2828; $7.
Veteran Grammy-winning group from Down Under performs in support of its new album "In the Hands of God."
Details: 3 p.m. Sunday at the James L. Knight Center, 400 SE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-372-4634; $12-$38.
HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE CONCERT
SUNDAY AFTERNOONS OF MUSIC
Musical tribute to the enduring human spirit presents compositions by prisoners of concentration camps from Dachau, Theresienstadt, Sachsenhausen and Buchenwald.
Details: 4 p.m. Sunday at Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music, University of Miami,1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; 305-271-7150; $25, $10 students.
-- MICHAEL HAMMERSLY
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- MOVA Lounge hosts 5th annual Block Party for Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 11 - 13
- Dita Von Teese takes it off for South Florida
- 'Cocktales: Confessions of a Nymphomaniac' debuts at Bardot and runs through April
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 4 - 6
- SL Miami at The James Royal Palm closes
- Top three takeaways from Miami Music Week and Ultra Music Festival
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Armin Van Buuren leaves his mark at Miami Music Week 2014