Weekend Ticket - 5/30-5/31
Here are some ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
For Saturday, May 30, 2009
Hasidic rapper Matisyahu funks it up with Les Claypool, manic bassist/singer for irreverent alt-rock group Primus.
Details: 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Pompano Beach Amphitheatre, 1806 NE Sixth St., Pompano Beach; 954-946-2402; $31.50, four-pack $91.03 in advance.
BACK TO THE '80S
Taylor Dayne revisits her hits "Tell It to My Heart," "Prove Your Love" and "Love Will Lead You Back," with Rein-AlDo, Company B, Erotic Exotic, Safire and Debbie Deb also on the bill.
Details: 8 p.m. at BankUnited Center, 1245 Dauer Dr., Coral Gables; 305-284-8686 or www.bankunitedcenter.com; $28-$58.
Italian DJ Alex Gaudino mashes up party hits like "I Love Rock 'N Roll" and "Calabria" with heavy house beats. He stops in South Beach as part of his first U.S. tour.
Details: 11 p.m. at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; www.mansionmiami.com; $20.
For Sunday, May 31, 2009
PINT-SIZE POP STARS
SCHOOL OF ROCK
Not everyone who caught the flick where slacker/rocker Jack Black teaches his children well realized it was based on a true story. Here' s the real deal, as kids age 7 to 18 jam on classic cover tunes.
Details: 1 p.m. Sunday at Gibson Showroom, 180 NE 39th St., Miami; 305-969-2828; $7.
Veteran Grammy-winning group from Down Under performs in support of its new album "In the Hands of God."
Details: 3 p.m. Sunday at the James L. Knight Center, 400 SE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-372-4634; $12-$38.
HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE CONCERT
SUNDAY AFTERNOONS OF MUSIC
Musical tribute to the enduring human spirit presents compositions by prisoners of concentration camps from Dachau, Theresienstadt, Sachsenhausen and Buchenwald.
Details: 4 p.m. Sunday at Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music, University of Miami,1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; 305-271-7150; $25, $10 students.
-- MICHAEL HAMMERSLY
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - August 15 - 17
- Go Drink This: Katsuya Fresh at Katsuya South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- #HowToMiami – Mojito
- All Hail the Cocktail: trends migrate to Miami from Tales of the Cocktail
- Go Drink This: The Alluring Gem
- Miami is on fire this summer with bar, brewery, lounge and nightclub openings, plus big plans for hotel nightlife
- Former Vagabond space in downtown Miami to open as 'Steam,' an interactive theatrical nightclub, alongside a speakeasy bar and outdoor concert space
- Brickell's first pop-up cocktail bar 'Better Days' opens in an incognito space
- Life In Color EDM party tapped for halftime performance of Guinness International Champions Cup final at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium