Weekend Ticket - 06/11 through 06/13
Here's a few ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FRIDAY, JUNE 11
JAZID'S 14TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY
South Beach jazz club marks its 14th year, an eternity in this cutthroat nightlife area.
Details: 8 p.m. Friday (grand opening of new reggae party "Freeup Fridays" with Jahfe and Mixed Culture) and 8 p.m. Saturday (Spam Allstars, Suenalo and Nil Lara playing a mix of rock, funk, cumbia and hip-hop) at Jazid, 1342 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-9372 or www.jazid.net; free between 8 and 9 p.m., $10 cover afterward.
Former model decided DJing was more fun, and ended up being the first female to mix a compilation CD for Deep Dish's Yoshitoshi Recordings; she's helping celebrate the F.U.B.A.R. Fridays party's one-year anniversary.
Details: 10 p.m. at Dream, 1532 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-4444 or www.wantickets.com; $15.
SATURDAY, JUNE 12
BROOKS & DUNN
Beloved country duo hangs up their boots after this swan-song tour; Jason Aldean opens.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at Cruzan Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansbury's Way, West Palm Beach; LiveNation.com; $35-$65, $25 festival lawn, $75 festival lawn four-pack.
ALL THAT JAZZ
Grammy-winning trumpet master performs his first show in South Florida since 2000, and it's not to be missed: Raves the Los Angeles Times, "Nicholas Payton is well on his way to being the most important trumpeter of his generation."
Details: 8 p.m. at the Rose & Alfred Miniaci Performing Arts Center, Nova Southeastern University, 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd., Davie; 954-462-0222 or www.southfloridajazz.org; $35, $10 students.
SUNDAY, JUNE 13
"YOUNG ARTIST DEBUT" CONCERT
Juilliard-educated pianist and winner of the eighth National Chopin Piano Competition performs - what else? - an all-Chopin program.
Details: 4 p.m. at Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music, University of Miami, 1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; 305-271-8449 or www.miamicivicmusic.org; $20, $10 students and children.
Berklee-educated indie-electropop band from Cambridge, Mass., performs in support of its latest album, "Manners," with Tokyo Police Club and BRAHMS opening.
Details: 8:30 p.m. Sunday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater, 1700 Washington Ave.; LiveNation.com; $24.
- Go Drink This: SushiSamba's Pisco Sour
- Exclusive: The historic Ball and Chain bar and live music venue returns to Little Havana in September
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Svedka Vodka challenges bartenders nationwide to compete in the first annual Svedka Shakedown in Miami Beach
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Party with Jenny McCarthy at E11even Miami Saturday night after "Dirty Sexy Funny"
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 11 - 13