Weekend Ticket - 06/11 through 06/13
Here's a few ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FRIDAY, JUNE 11
JAZID'S 14TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY
South Beach jazz club marks its 14th year, an eternity in this cutthroat nightlife area.
Details: 8 p.m. Friday (grand opening of new reggae party "Freeup Fridays" with Jahfe and Mixed Culture) and 8 p.m. Saturday (Spam Allstars, Suenalo and Nil Lara playing a mix of rock, funk, cumbia and hip-hop) at Jazid, 1342 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-9372 or www.jazid.net; free between 8 and 9 p.m., $10 cover afterward.
Former model decided DJing was more fun, and ended up being the first female to mix a compilation CD for Deep Dish's Yoshitoshi Recordings; she's helping celebrate the F.U.B.A.R. Fridays party's one-year anniversary.
Details: 10 p.m. at Dream, 1532 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-4444 or www.wantickets.com; $15.
SATURDAY, JUNE 12
BROOKS & DUNN
Beloved country duo hangs up their boots after this swan-song tour; Jason Aldean opens.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at Cruzan Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansbury's Way, West Palm Beach; LiveNation.com; $35-$65, $25 festival lawn, $75 festival lawn four-pack.
ALL THAT JAZZ
Grammy-winning trumpet master performs his first show in South Florida since 2000, and it's not to be missed: Raves the Los Angeles Times, "Nicholas Payton is well on his way to being the most important trumpeter of his generation."
Details: 8 p.m. at the Rose & Alfred Miniaci Performing Arts Center, Nova Southeastern University, 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd., Davie; 954-462-0222 or www.southfloridajazz.org; $35, $10 students.
SUNDAY, JUNE 13
"YOUNG ARTIST DEBUT" CONCERT
Juilliard-educated pianist and winner of the eighth National Chopin Piano Competition performs - what else? - an all-Chopin program.
Details: 4 p.m. at Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music, University of Miami, 1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; 305-271-8449 or www.miamicivicmusic.org; $20, $10 students and children.
Berklee-educated indie-electropop band from Cambridge, Mass., performs in support of its latest album, "Manners," with Tokyo Police Club and BRAHMS opening.
Details: 8:30 p.m. Sunday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater, 1700 Washington Ave.; LiveNation.com; $24.
- Moët & Chandon presents Seaspice's new cocktail hour
- The Forge brings back its famed Wednesday night party
- The Who - win a pair of tickets
- Dance-music pioneer Jellybean Benitez talks about Madonna, EDM, Studio 54 before event at PAMM
- Tobacco Road celebrates new location Sunday
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Go Drink This: Spicy Raspberry Collins
- Katsuya unveils new installation by Miami artist Tatiana Suarez
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- The Forge in Miami Beach fuses music and food three nights a week