Weekend Ticket - 02/19 through 02/21
Here's a few ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19
LYNNE GOLOB GELFMAN
You won't look at a chain-link fence quite the same way after viewing Miami abstract artist Gelfman's compelling, layered, paintings.
Details: Opening reception 7-11 p.m. Friday, running through March 14 at Carol Jazzar - Contemporary Art, 158 NW 91st St., Miami; 305-490-6906 or www.cjazzart.com; free.
JAZZ IT UP
MIKE ORTA QUARTET
Cool Nights, Hot Jazz at the Bass kicks off its season with pianist/composer Orta.
Details: 7-9 p.m. at the Bass Museum, 2121 Park Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-7530 or www.bassmuseum.org; $10.
TEATRO EN EL BLANCO
Chilean theater company presents Guillermo Calderon's "Diciembre," an interactive dark comedy about war and its power to transform domestic life.
Details: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Byron Carlyle Theater, 500 71st St., Miami Beach; 305-237-3010 or www.mdc.edu/culture; $10 and $15, $8 students and seniors.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20
Any echoes of Super Bowl XLIV cheering will be obliterated by massive trucks bent on doing massive harm to each other, including the infamous Grave Digger, El Toro Loco and the debut of Maximum Destruction.
Details: 7:30 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium, 2269 Dan Marino Blvd., Miami Gardens; www.monsterjam.com; $10-$30.
HE'S THE KING
Rap master and mogul, aka Shawn Carter, aka Beyonce's hubby, brings his "BP3" tour to town, performing hits including "Big Pimpin'," "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)," "'03 Bonnie & Clyde," "Excuse Me Miss," "Run This Town," "99 Problems" and "Empire State of Mind."
Details: 8 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center, 1 Panther Pkwy., Sunrise; LiveNation.com; $39.50-$129.50.
GET THOSE DELTA BLUES
DAVID "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS
Legendary Delta Blues great at 94 is one of the last links to Robert Johnson, and received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement Award last month.
Details: 8:30 p.m. at the Colony Theatre, 1040 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-545-8546 or www.tigertail.org; $35, $50 VIP (priority entrance and best seating).
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 21
TODAY'S THE DAY
Stop hitting up the ATM for your blackjack fixation and check out the sweet harmonies of America, which gave us the hits "Sister Golden Hair," "Lonely People," "Daisy Jane," "Today's the Day," "Ventura Highway," "Tin Man" and "A Horse With No Name."
Details: 4 p.m. at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave., Miami; 888-56-MAGIC, 305-460-6579 or www.magiccitycasino.com; $20-$35.
TEGAN & SARA
Canadian twin-sister darlings of the indie-rock world perform in support of their latest album, "Sainthood"; dreamy, trippy singer-songwriter Holly Miranda opens with tracks from her debut album "The Magician's Private Library."
Details: 7:30 p.m. at Sunset Cove Amphitheater, 12551 Glades Rd., Boca Raton; 561-488-7414 or www.pbcgov.com/parks/amphitheaters; $30.
- Mad Decent Block Party tour kicks off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go Drink This: SushiSamba's Pisco Sour
- Exclusive: The historic Ball and Chain bar and live music venue returns to Little Havana in September
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Svedka Vodka challenges bartenders nationwide to compete in the first annual Svedka Shakedown in Miami Beach
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Party with Jenny McCarthy at E11even Miami Saturday night after "Dirty Sexy Funny"