Weekend Ticket - 01/22 through 01/24
Here's a few ideas of what you could be doing this weekend.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 22
"THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF JOSE GURVICH"
See La Creacion and other works by the Uruguayan artist.
Details: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., running through April 11 at the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum. 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; 305-348-2890 or thefrost.fiu.edu; free.
BENEFIT FOR HAITI
Beloved Haitian singer Jean-Michel Daudier holds a fundraiser and CD signing to benefit Haiti, accompanied by Mo, Modafo and Herbie Walsh.
Details: 7-10 p.m. at the Miami Shores Country Club, 10000 Biscayne Blvd.; www.jmicheldaudier.com; free.
GET IN THE SPIRIT
Bishop and philanthropist sings during his "Night of Victory."
Details: 7:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center, 1245 Dauer Dr., Coral Gables; 305-284-8686 or www.bankunitedcenter.com; $28.75-$78.75.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 23
THE INSECTS ARE COMING!
"THE WORLD OF GIANT INSECTS"
See animated robotic insects, enlarged 40 to 600 times their actual size, and get a new, up-close perspective on these important creatures.
Details: 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m., running through Aug. 1 at Miami Metrozoo, 12400 SW 152nd St., Miami; 305-251-0400 or www.miamimetrozoo.com; $15.95 adults, $11.95 kids 3-12.
MOTHER EARTH FESTIVAL
Bring the whole family and learn how to leave a small, green footprint, while enjoying a free raffle from Whole Foods, storytelling, belly-dancing, live jazz and a concert by South Florida folk singer Grant Livingston.
Details: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Miami, 7710 SW 76th Ave. (just south of Sunset and east of the Palmetto); 305-661-0023; free.
See more than 100 woodcuts, lithographs, linocuts and watercolors by this mind-bending Dutch architect turned artist.
Details: Lecture from 3-4 p.m., opening artist reception 4-6 p.m., running through March 6 at the Elaine Baker Gallery, 608 Banyan Trail, Boca Raton; 561-241-3050 or www.elainebakergallery.com; free.
"LUCIA DI LAMMERMOOR"
Classic opera by Donizetti tells the gripping tale of a beautiful young woman tricked into marrying a man she does not love, and all kinds of craziness ensues. Starring Cuban-American soprano Eglise Gutierrez (Miami) and Mexican soprano Maria Alejandres (Broward).
Details: 7 p.m., running through Jan. 31 at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Ziff Ballet Opera House, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722 or www.arshtcenter.org; and Feb. 4 and 6 at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Au-Rene Theatre, 201 SW 5th Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 1-800-741-1010 or www.fgo.org; $21-$225.
JAZZ IT UP
Give your slot-machine arm a break and check out veteran Miami jass flutist.
Details: 7 p.m. at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave., Miami; 888-56-MAGIC, 305-460-6579 or www.magiccitycasino.com; $10-$25.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24
New York house DJ spins a marathon, high-energy set in support of his latest CD "Release Yourself 8"; Stephan Luke opens.
Details: 11 p.m. at SET, 320 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; www.wantickets.com; $30.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- MOVA Lounge hosts 5th annual Block Party for Miami Beach Gay Pride Festival
- Plans emerge to save Miami's oldest bar as owners announce sale of Tobacco Road
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 11 - 13
- Dita Von Teese takes it off for South Florida
- 'Cocktales: Confessions of a Nymphomaniac' debuts at Bardot and runs through April
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 4 - 6
- SL Miami at The James Royal Palm closes
- Top three takeaways from Miami Music Week and Ultra Music Festival