Oscar G headlines pool party, Wang Chung is back and The Chili Pepper crowd reunites
Lots of throwback events plus an art soiree, a pool party and a Latin Funk throwdown in South Florida this weekend.
Everybody Wang Chung Tonight
No, really. Wang Chung tonight. Well, Saturday night, but still. For free no less. That's right, the seminal 80's band that created a verb of their own name performs at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 31 at The Magic City Casino's Stage 305 (450 NW 37th Ave., Miami). The event is 21 and over. Are you listening, Justin Bieber? You'll just have to Wang Chung somewhere else. Like Chuck E. Cheese.
Forget 'NSync and all this faux, neo nostalgia. Those who were out of diapers in the '90s knew that The Chili Pepper was the place to be on South Beach. A hot, steamy affair of models, movers, shakers and all sorts of characters called it their canteen. From 9 p.m. to midnight, those same folks will come together at Bardot (3456 N. Miami Ave., Miami) for a reunion of sorts, celebrating the halcyon days that today are just misty, vodka colored memories. To RSVP, email okesterling@Gmail.com.
Arty for the Party
NSU's Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale (1 E. Las Olas Blvd.) is welcoming MOCA expat Bonnie Clearwater as their new Director with a big end of summer hello Bonnie bash from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, August 31. In addition to the warm welcomes, there will be free cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and live music. Members get in free and the rest of you pay just $5. Oh, and there will be art. To RSVP, call 954-262-0227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How else to reward your slaving away than with one of three hundred pool parties taking place this weekend? But not all pool parties have Oscar G, half of Murk, Liberty City and Funky Green Dogs spinning the soundtrack like Hyde Beach (1701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) does from noon until "dusk" on Monday, Sept. 2. Also spinning at this so called Pool Party Fiesta are Patrick M, Alx and Donnie Lowe. General admission for women is $25 and for men, $35. How bout that disparity? All ticket and table information can be found here. For reservations call 305-674-1701.
The granddaddy of live music on South Beach, Jazid (1342 Washington Ave.) turns up the old victrola this weekend with its Labor Day Weekend Latin Funk Slam, beginning at 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31 with two 45-minute sets by the funky fusionistas known as Electric Piquete and featuring hip hop, reggae, house and reggaeton upstairs by DJ Fiyah Vibes. "It's Labor Day, so we'll be looser and funkier than usual," said the band's mouthpiece Michael Mut. Cover is $10.
- Moonlighting, whisky, Nicola's big 5-0, booze, books & Jacko
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches