Oscar G headlines pool party, Wang Chung is back and The Chili Pepper crowd reunites
Lots of throwback events plus an art soiree, a pool party and a Latin Funk throwdown in South Florida this weekend.
Everybody Wang Chung Tonight
No, really. Wang Chung tonight. Well, Saturday night, but still. For free no less. That's right, the seminal 80's band that created a verb of their own name performs at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 31 at The Magic City Casino's Stage 305 (450 NW 37th Ave., Miami). The event is 21 and over. Are you listening, Justin Bieber? You'll just have to Wang Chung somewhere else. Like Chuck E. Cheese.
Forget 'NSync and all this faux, neo nostalgia. Those who were out of diapers in the '90s knew that The Chili Pepper was the place to be on South Beach. A hot, steamy affair of models, movers, shakers and all sorts of characters called it their canteen. From 9 p.m. to midnight, those same folks will come together at Bardot (3456 N. Miami Ave., Miami) for a reunion of sorts, celebrating the halcyon days that today are just misty, vodka colored memories. To RSVP, email okesterling@Gmail.com.
Arty for the Party
NSU's Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale (1 E. Las Olas Blvd.) is welcoming MOCA expat Bonnie Clearwater as their new Director with a big end of summer hello Bonnie bash from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, August 31. In addition to the warm welcomes, there will be free cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and live music. Members get in free and the rest of you pay just $5. Oh, and there will be art. To RSVP, call 954-262-0227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How else to reward your slaving away than with one of three hundred pool parties taking place this weekend? But not all pool parties have Oscar G, half of Murk, Liberty City and Funky Green Dogs spinning the soundtrack like Hyde Beach (1701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) does from noon until "dusk" on Monday, Sept. 2. Also spinning at this so called Pool Party Fiesta are Patrick M, Alx and Donnie Lowe. General admission for women is $25 and for men, $35. How bout that disparity? All ticket and table information can be found here. For reservations call 305-674-1701.
The granddaddy of live music on South Beach, Jazid (1342 Washington Ave.) turns up the old victrola this weekend with its Labor Day Weekend Latin Funk Slam, beginning at 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31 with two 45-minute sets by the funky fusionistas known as Electric Piquete and featuring hip hop, reggae, house and reggaeton upstairs by DJ Fiyah Vibes. "It's Labor Day, so we'll be looser and funkier than usual," said the band's mouthpiece Michael Mut. Cover is $10.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale