Waterfront views, breakfast buffets and American classics woo in Fort Lauderdale...
Vue on the Water has one of the most enviable restaurant locations in Fort Lauderdale. With floor-to-ceiling windows, there isn't a bad seat in the house at the restaurant, hidden in the lobby of the Doubletree's Gallery One hotel, between the Galleria mall and the Intracoastal bridge on Sunrise Boulevard. The 80-seat dining room is upscale yet casual, with light woods and contemporary lighting. There's an indoor bar and another one on the sprawling, 30-seat patio.
The most popular meal at Vue is the $19 breakfast buffet. Chef Albert Fort says he occasionally adds a twist like wild boar sausage to the lineup of breakfast standards, fresh salmon and made-to-order omelets. Fort, whose culinary career has taken him to the South Pacific, Australia and California, has begun lightening up a limited dinner menu dominated by hearty fare, substituting complimentary crudites, for example, for a bread basket. In addition to the la carte menu, there's a prix fixe dinner for two for $45 that includes one appetizer, two entrees and one dessert ... a pretty good deal considering most entrees are $20-$22.
- Lush tomato bisque with a shot of cream
- Not-too-salty French onion with melted Gruyere
- Juicy sliced tomatoes topped with pancetta on a bed of mesclun greens drizzled with a creamy oregano dressing
- Arugula salad dressed in a kicky chipotle-orange vinaigrette and bolstered by candied walnuts, fresh Florida corn, roasted plum tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese
- Ultra-tender short ribs slow-cooked for 72 hours
- Nicely braised short shanks
- Sides including a huge, delicious baked sweet potato, stand out roasted root vegetables and crisp tempura beans
- Juicy, flavorful and skillfully grilled swordfish
- Delicious winter squash seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Warm chocolate lava cake
Vue on the Water
Gallery One, Doubletree Guest Suites: 2670 E. Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale
Hours: 6am-11pm daily
Prices: Soups and salads $6-$13, appetizers $8-$12, entrees $14-$27, desserts $8
FYI: No self-parking; valet $5 with restaurant validation. Water taxi stops at hotel. Full bar; corkage $25; AX, DN, DS, MC, VS.
- The Atlantic Hotel opens two new restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale Beach on April 4
- Weston's D’Angelo Pizza launches 12 for $12 lunch special
- Tsukuro launches "Lucky You" happy hour
- BC Cafe hosts beer pairing dinner March 29
- Grille 401 debuts sushi & sake bar on Las Olas
- Paula DaSilva hosts a three-month "Spring Awakening" brunch series at 3030 Ocean
- SAIA celebrates National Noodle Month with 25% off pad Thai shrimp
- Bite into something new this Feb: Restaurant openings in Wynwood, Fort Lauderdale & Aventura
- Toast National Margarita Day Feb 22
- SAIA woos AIA marathoners with a Feb 16 feast