Violin virtuoso Midori performs Saturday with the Minnesota Orchestra at the Arsht Center
Violin virtuoso Midori, who has been wowing audiences since age 11, performs in Miami accompanied by the Minnesota Orchestra.
Saturday, Mar. 10 at 8 p.m. at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
Tickets $50-$125 at www.arshtcenter.org.
MIDORI, the great violin virtuoso prodigy now is all grown up and performing 8 p.m. Saturday, March 10 at Arsht. We chatted:
What can fans expect from the concert?
Saturday’s program features three of the best loved pieces of classical music ever. I’m playing the Sibelius Violin Concerto, which is thrilling, lyrical, lush and irresistible to the ear.
Even people who don’t know much about classical music will probably recognize sections of this concert – the music, by Beethoven, Sibelius and Brahms, is so popular because it’s extraordinarily beautiful.
It’s always interesting to hear what musicians listen to. What is on your iPod right now?
“Sacred Ground” by Sweet Honey in the Rock; Beethoven piano sonatas by Jonathan Biss; “Ballads” by John Coltrane; “My Goal’s Beyond” by John McLaughlin; Mozart Piano Sonatas by Christoph Eschenbach
What are some of your favorite spots to visit in Miami ?
I especially love the banyan trees in Coconut Grove – they’re magical. And walking along the waves in South Beach reminds me of the mighty power of nature.
When did you know your career was going to be in classical music?
I made my debut with the New York Philharmonic when I was 11, and the audience seemed to really enjoy my performance. This experience was profoundly moving to me, and it encouraged me to continue with a professional career.
What is the best part of your career?
Taking a musical journey with each audience. Every night is different, and I feel that once the music is over, I have bonded in an important way with both the orchestra and with every person in the hall.
Music in Miami
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture hosts Serge Devant April 24
- Gloria Estefan headlines Miami Beach Centennial Concert on Thursday night
- Jazz In The Gardens: RUN-DMC storms the stage Sunday
- Jazz In The Gardens: Erykah Badu performs Sunday night
- Piano Guys bring pop-classical medleys to the Arsht Center
- Erykah Badu, Run DMC and Sheila E. highlight Jazz in the Gardens 10th anniversary line-up
- Roberto Rodriguez Quartet performs at the Olympia Theater's jazz series
- Virginia Key GrassRoots Festival Announces Lineup
- Jazz legends to light up New World Center
- Jacob Jeffries performs Wednesday at CANVAS in downtown Miami