Villagio of Sawgrass
Dig into focaccia & risotto during your next Sawgrass shopping expedition...
Villagio of Sawgrass
1760 Sawgrass Mills Circle, Sunrise
Additional locations: Boca Raton, Coral Gables, Kendall
Hours: 11:30am-11pm daily; happy hour until 7pm
Prices: Appetizers $6.50-$10.95, entrees $14.95-$23.95, pizza $9-$11.75, desserts $6.50.
FYI: Reservations suggested on weekends.
Full bar; no corkage fee. Free parking lot or mall valet. AX, DS, MC, VS.
Passersby might glance at the sleek decor and white tablecloths at Villagio in the upscale Colonnade shopping center at Sawgrass Mills and think: Too expensive. They'd be pleasantly surprised. Owner Tom Billante specializes in Italian restaurants that are attractive, well-run and moderately priced (case in point – hist Boca Raton, Coral Gables and Kendall Villagio locations). There's an extensive menu of carpaccios, salads, pasta, pizza and popular entrees with a fairly priced international wine list. It's a fun dining experience, enhanced by servers who are polite, friendly and attentive.
Ambience: The two-month-old, 250-seat Sawgrass Villagio is bright and breezy, with glass doors and windows overlooking the patio surrounding a lovely fountain. The dominant design feature is an open bar area flanked by a big, back-lit onyx rectangle that frames two TVs. Another attention-getter: a 22-seat onyx table (ideal for groups but open to parties of any size party).
- Complimentary starter plates of warm focaccia triangles topped with bracingly fresh tomatoes splashed with balsamic
- Lightly battered and fried calamari with slivers of crisp zucchini & a zesty marinara
- Creamy imported mozzarella burrata drizzled with balsamic and served with a fat tomato and paper-thin slices of smoky prosciutto
- Polenta Siciliana with roasted peppers, onions, mushrooms and marinara sauce
- Flavorful agnolotti del magnifico filled with ricotta and spinach (albeit drenched in ultra rich pink sauce)
- A simply grilled special of mild branzino
- Standout and reasonably priced ($26.95) Maine lobster special split and filled with linguine, clams, mussels and shrimp in a kicky but not overly spicy fradiavolo sauce
- Risotto dolce vita with diced shrimp, spinach and goat cheese
- Delicious & tender small shrimp
- Scrumptious apple pie a la mode with a phyllo crust
- Decadent chocolate soufflé garnished with fresh strawberries and whipped cream
What Didn’t Work
- Stuffed artichoke loaded with buttery bread crumbs
- Chewy large shrimp
- Saffron risotto
- Thasos debuts Thursday & Friday happy hours in Fort Lauderdale
- POC launches weekend brunch in Hallandale's Village at Gulfstream Park
- Bokampers opens 18,000-square-foot sports bar in Fort Lauderdale
- Fascino's brings new Italian flavors to Downtown Hollywood
- Trufflemania hits South Florida
- Chima celebrates Veteran's Day with free rodizio for veterans
- POC brings high-end modern American cooking and sushi to Village at Gulfstream Park
- POC Modern American Cuisine opens in Village at Gulfstream Park
- Toast Steak 954's War of the Wines Oct 17
- French Spice Miami returns Oct 24 - Nov 15