Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
Negroni Week supports charities through June 8, Story presents DJ Roger Sanchez, and Magic City Casino hosts the Ultimate Miami Voice competition
A Drink for your Cause
A cocktail that has an entire week devoted to it must be good. Or it must have a good marketing team (enter Imbibe magazine and Campari). Either way, Negroni Week is a great excuse to drink the beloved apéritif. Now through Sunday, June 8, celebrate the fusion of gin, vermouth and Campari with more than 1,000 bars, restaurants and ice cream shops worldwide. All are offering their own spins on the tradtional recipe. Even better, the bars agreed to donate a portion of each Negroni sold to a charity of their choice.
Among those participating in Miami Beach are Haven, 1237 Lincoln Rd.; 1826 Restaurant and Lounge, 1826 Collins Ave., (both supporting Common Threads Miami); Lure Fishbar, 1601 Collins Ave., (American Diabetes Assoc.); Purdy Lounge, 1811 Purdy Ave., (National Alliance To End Homelessness); The Regent Cocktail Club, 1690 Collins Ave. (Falling Whistles); The Social Club at Kimpton’s Surfcomber Hotel, 1717 Collins Ave. (The Dan Marino Foundation); Public House, 423 Washington Ave. (Global Poverty Project); Macchialina, 820 Alton Rd. (ASPCA); and, The Forge, 432 W. 41st St. (Make a Wish Foundation). For the full list of participants and their respective charities, go to negroniweek.com.
New York-based breakdancer turned house DJ Roger Sanchez has said that house music in its infancy "was almost the return of disco," and argues that "commercial dance music sounds homogenous these days." Sanchez devotes his turntables to the return of classic and grit in music, the kind that makes you actually want to put your phone down and dance. Do just that when he spins Saturday, June 7 at Story, 136 Collins Ave., where tickets for females are $30 and $40 for males. Ah, the injustice. Shut up and dance. For tickets go to story.wantickets.com.
Proving that disco indeed has never died is Swedish band Little Dragon, whose latest Scottish-produced album "Nabuma Rubberband" is disco-inspired. Who's burning records now, people? Hustle on over to Grand Central, 697 N. Miami Ave. at 8 p.m. Thursday, June 12 to hear it for yourselves because, as Clash Music says, the band "could well be on the cusp of a breakthrough." Tickets are $20 to $25 and available at ticketfly.com.
Finding Your Voice
Before you head out to stand in line with hundreds of thousands of aspiring singing stars, tone deaf ones included, consider heading to Stage 305 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave., where at 8 p.m. Friday, June 6 the Ultimate Miami Voice competition will determine just who is the best, at that moment anyway, and who deserves the grand prize of $5,000 (cash). On that same night, 80's freestyle singers Cynthia and Johnny O. will headline. Admission is $10 to watch. To find out how to compete in future quests of a similar nature -- such as the one seeking the best bartender on June 13 with Rob Base, Debbie Deb and Lissette Melendez -- go to theultimatemiami.com.
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard