Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
The Trump National Doral celebrates golf and fashion, Brickell Key gets a proper cocktail bar, a craft beer dinner at OTC, and The 21st Annual Shelley Novak Awards
You're Fired Up
Because everything Donald Trump does is unquestionably the biggest and best, expect flash and fanfare at The World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship at, where else? The Trump National Doral, 4400 NW 87th Ave. Especially at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 7 when daughter Ivanka hosts a Carolina Herrera Spring 2014 fashion show. DJ Irie will spin before and after the show. On the guest list: Miss Universe Gabriela Isler, 2014 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue rookie Hannah Ferguson and The Real Housewives of New York City's Heather Thomson. Friday tourney tickets include free admission to the fashion show, but if you don't have those, go to cadillacchampionship.com.
High rollers and A-listers love tucking away at the Mandarin Oriental, Miami, 500 Brickell Key Dr., but it's not every day the hoi polloi gets to do just that, especially since there hasn't really been a big bar scene there since we stalke--er, saw Jennifer Aniston there with her then beau John Mayer. That's about to change, however, thanks to the grand opening of the brand new MO Bar + Lounge, featuring requisite 'expert mixologist,' this one is a real deal -- Angelo Vieira formerly of The Florida Room and currently at The Regent Cocktail Club.
We're Down with OTC
Craft beer is all the rage, but when you pair it with food in, say, several courses by a stellar chef such as OTC's Jacob Anaya, formerly of Azul at the aforementioned Mandarin Oriental, Miami, it's even craftier. That's exactly what will happen starting at 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 8 at OTC, 1250 S. Miami Ave., when Anaya cooks up a feast paired with the handmade-in-Miami beers of our very own Wynwood Brewing Company. The menu include Okinawan sweet potato croquettes and shrimp toast paired with La Rubia, WBC's American Blonde Ale. Then, there's some squid ink Spanish rice, a pimped out ice cream sundae and beer. More beer. Mmmm. Tickets are $65 per person. The dinner is limited to 50 so don't blame us if it sold out already. Call 305-374-4612 and see if you can wedge your way in.
Take a Drag
It's that time of year again, time for the Oscars of drag, The 21st(!) Annual Shelley Novak Awards, taking place at 10 p.m. Monday, March 10 at Score, 1437 Washington Ave. The whole to do comes complete with very dramatic red carpet entries with the official show starting at midnight. With too many categories to list, we'll just congratulate the nominees and single out the recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Awards, Ebonee Excell and T.P. Lords.
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood
- Ballers: National YoungArts, The Big Lebowski, Digweed & more!
- The same auld lang syne: New Year's Day pool parties, bowl game boozing & National YoungArts Week
- That's so 2015: Velvet Underground does New Year's Eve
- Matzo Balling, High End Hookahs, Electric Piquete at Woody's & the Weeknd's After Party
- Justin Bieber's surprise visit--and performance--at Wall
- Art, music, booze, cartoons & sado masochism! It's not Art Basel anymore, it's just good ol' Miami
- A new nightclub, happy hour and Art Basel events you can actually get into