Velvet Underground: Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana play in North Beach, the Taj Mahal in Sunny Isles, and a block party on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables
The North Beach Bandshell presents Locos Por Juana, a Bollywood party at Kitchen 305 at the Newport Beachside Hotel, and a block party benefiting the Miami Chapter of The Buoniconti Fund
La Fiesta Loca
Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana will perform from 6 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18 at the North Beach Bandshell, 7275 Collins Ave. Celebrating their 11th anniversary, the band performs at the "A Day at the Beach Concert Series" as part of their signature La Fiesta Loca Party, which entails party favors, special guests and performances by two of Miami's up-and-coming bands, Bachaco and Uma Galera. DJ collective Pulso Beat Box will spin "multi-culti' grooves throughout the night. Tickets are available at the door for $15 or at brownpapertickets.com/event/535105 for $10 in advance. All ages welcome.
Benefiting The Miami Chapter of The Buoniconti Fund, a big block party from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18 at 201 Miracle Mile is hardly a pedestrian affair, with craft beer, spirits, food from Hillstone, live entertainment and a live auction. For tickets, $40 in advance, and information go to thebuonicontifund.com.
Goodwill Becomes a Legend
Join pro football legends and Hall of Famers Reidel Anthony, Cornelius Bennett, Ki-Jana Carter, Anthony Muñoz, Bob Griese, OJ McDuffie, Dwight Stephenson, John Randle, Andre Reed, Duane Starks and Jack Youngblood at the Pro Football Legends Classic, Jan. 20 - 22 at the Jacaranda Golf Club, 9200 W. Broward Blvd. The event, benefiting Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center, features a casual golf outing on Jan. 21 followed by an evening fundraising reception and dinner cruise aboard the Floridian Princess. There’s a chance for a million dollar hole-in-one shootout, as well as hole-in-one contests for a $15,000 cash prize and a new Mercedes-Benz CLA250. Other prizes include a trip to the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships Eastern Sectional. Tickets can be purchased at profootballclassic.com and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The San Francisco Chronicle called Meklit Hadero "an artistic giant inthe early stages," and lucky for us here in Miami, she will appear on our very own stage when doors open at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 22 at The Stage, 170 NE 38th St. The Ethiopian-born, Yale-educated San Francisco-based singer has been compared to Tracy Chapman, Nina Simone and Joan Armatrading. Her performance, however, will comprise original material in anticipation of her sophomore album release in March. Pre-sale tickets are just $8 at thestagemiami.com. Parked outside on the patio will be the newly permanent "This Is It" food truck. Drink specials will be available as well.
When it comes to Sunny Isles, India isn't what comes to mind, but starting at 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17, Kitchen 305 at the Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort, 16701 Collins Ave., will be transformed into the Taj Mahal for a big Bollywood-style bash. There, you'll find Indian food, belly dancers, fire breathers, henna tattoos, Indian art, design and a soundtrack by Ace DJ. The event is free and open to the public, and the first 100 females to walk through the door will eat free from 10 until 11:30 p.m. and drink free from 10 to 11 p.m. To RSVP, call 305-879-5296.
- Beatniks, Art, Disco, More Disco and Strippers - it's not just Halloween, it's Miami!
- Last call at Tobacco Road, free culture @ YoungArts, Pitbull & Enrique after party
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove
- Velvet Underground: Sneaker Pimps rejoice at Grand Central with Cam'ron and HaVen South Beach hosts Bar Wars
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro