Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
Local photographer presents new black and white portraits at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden and Serendipity 3 hosts 'Paint Nite'
Color Me Rad
Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And while some folks find one painting to be a masterpiece, others may find it to be a piece of something else. When you add booze to the literal and figurative picture, lines become blurred and err on the side of genius. Or at least you think so. Try it out for yourself from 7 to 9 p.m. every Wednesday at Serendipity 3, 1102 Lincoln Rd., where "Paint Nite" will inspire all of you to channel your inner Picasso, Britto or, if you're lucky, Banksy. A $45 ticket gets you all your art supplies as well as a discount on cocktails and dessert. While that may sound steep--and it is--there's a discount if you use the code "Serendipity" at paintnite.com. Who knows, perhaps that $45 will catapult you to Art Basel glory. Or just your mom's wall.
After endless nights of soulless electronic music beating down your ear drums and your capacity to feel human, why not soak yourself in the soothing sounds of soul at The Stage's "Soulfest Weekend" from July 25-26 with Latin funk, R&B, and soul plus cocktails, $3 Miller Lite, $5 Heineken, and food from the Vibe 305 Cafe food truck operated by non-profit group Empowered Youth, a job training program for inner city young men. Headlining the Friday shows are San Francisco's Bayonics and Providence's La Santa Mamba. On Saturday, it's Miami's supersonic Suenalo and New Orleans' Big Sam's Funky Nation. DJ Mr. Pauer will spin electropico sounds on Friday, too. 170 NE 38th St., Miami; Doors open both nights at 10 p.m. and cover is $15.
In an era when it may be easier to find Jimmy Hoffa than an untouched, undoctored picture of a celebrity, where every wrinkle, crease, crater and crevice of age is erased or smoothed over via Photoshop, it is quite original, if not rare, to see people in their natural states. Such is the case at the debut of photog Henry Perez's "La Femme . . . en Noir et Blanc," from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, July 25 at the Miami Beach Botanical Gardens, 2000 Convention Center Dr. Perez promises his portraits shot "in digital black and white and have not been edited in any way in an effort to preserve their natural state." To process all this realness, there will be food, drinks and silent auction benefiting The Sabrina Cohen Foundation. There's no cover, but you are required to come wearing black or white. Makeup, cover up and all sorts of beauty tricks, thankfully, are not forbidden.
Oh cruel, cruel summer and your horrific humidity and horrid hair days and nights, how we loathe yet love your sultriness. Especially when the aforementioned afflictions call for pool parties everywhere, including one at Fifty Miami at Viceroy, 485 Brickell Ave., starting at the early, smack in the middle of the worst heat hour of 1 p.m. Saturday, July 26. That rooftop location, however, is prime and optimistically cooler than it is down on the hot concrete, so there's that. But anyway, heat may be of little concern when you check out the swimwear fashion show--because you can never have too many swimwear fashion shows in Miami, live poolside performances, music, art, and the antithesis of high heat hydration--booze. Dress code is "white chic pool/swimwear attire." Tickets are available at wantickets.com (use the code "MEGACITY" for a $5 discount). For those who love to do these things, #SplashSummerBash is the pound sign code on Twitter.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo