Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road
New sunset party at The Standard and Mad Cat Theatre's latest show
Speed Rack Miami
Though it sounds like something that either takes place down at the track in Homestead, or another name for the express lane on 95, Speed Rack Miami is a speed bartending competition amongst some of the area's most talented female bartenders (Blackbird Ordinary, Pubbelly Steak, Lure Fishbar, Bocce Bar, The Broken Shaker, The Bazaar, Tongue & Cheek, Khong River House and more) in order to raise funds for breast cancer charities. The contestants will compete in timed heats, making rounds of cocktails from a list of 50 industry standard classic recipes. The competition starts at 5 p.m. Monday, January 13 at Avenue D, 8 S. Miami Ave., is open to the public . Tickets are $20 in advanece or $25 at the door and include cocktails and treats from local food vendors.
Gold Dusk Woman
Not all sunsets are created equally, which is why The Standard, 40 Island Avenue, is showing off its golden girl from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, January 10 with DUSK, a mix and mingle sort of sunset send off featuring tunes by DJ Cassinelli, light bites and, says the promoter, of course, "amazing people."
Because Colorado isn't a bike ride away, Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. along with Ploppy Palace Productions and NORML of Florida are hosting the 16th Annual Medical Marijuana Benefit Concert from 5 p.m. until 3 a.m. Saturday, January 11, a three-stage homage to patients and physicians right to use medical cannabis featuring bands, spoken word artists and community activists. Among those scheduled to perform: Johnny Dread, Sweetbone, The Nag Champayons, The Baboons, Teri Catlin, Nature’s Fury, Ydiz, UOM, Coconut Grove Jugglers Exchange, Soulflower, Elviza's Rockabilly Hippies, stilt walker Lucky Bruno and more. We can safely assume there will be munchies as well. Admission is $12.
Mat Cat Theatre, the Miami-based theater company whose mission includes "To sniff out and ultimately create brazen stories that explore the hypermodernity of society," presents its latest, Mixtape 2: Ummagumma Forza Zuma, "a new theatrical stew fashioned under the strain of metamorphosis." The collection of plays and films takes place at 8 p.m. now through January 19 at Miami Theater Center, 9806 NE 2nd Ave., and features a motley crew of artists including Darin Gray of On Fillmore. General admission tickets are $30 and can be purchased at www.madcattheatre.org.
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano