Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road
New sunset party at The Standard and Mad Cat Theatre's latest show
Speed Rack Miami
Though it sounds like something that either takes place down at the track in Homestead, or another name for the express lane on 95, Speed Rack Miami is a speed bartending competition amongst some of the area's most talented female bartenders (Blackbird Ordinary, Pubbelly Steak, Lure Fishbar, Bocce Bar, The Broken Shaker, The Bazaar, Tongue & Cheek, Khong River House and more) in order to raise funds for breast cancer charities. The contestants will compete in timed heats, making rounds of cocktails from a list of 50 industry standard classic recipes. The competition starts at 5 p.m. Monday, January 13 at Avenue D, 8 S. Miami Ave., is open to the public . Tickets are $20 in advanece or $25 at the door and include cocktails and treats from local food vendors.
Gold Dusk Woman
Not all sunsets are created equally, which is why The Standard, 40 Island Avenue, is showing off its golden girl from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, January 10 with DUSK, a mix and mingle sort of sunset send off featuring tunes by DJ Cassinelli, light bites and, says the promoter, of course, "amazing people."
Because Colorado isn't a bike ride away, Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. along with Ploppy Palace Productions and NORML of Florida are hosting the 16th Annual Medical Marijuana Benefit Concert from 5 p.m. until 3 a.m. Saturday, January 11, a three-stage homage to patients and physicians right to use medical cannabis featuring bands, spoken word artists and community activists. Among those scheduled to perform: Johnny Dread, Sweetbone, The Nag Champayons, The Baboons, Teri Catlin, Nature’s Fury, Ydiz, UOM, Coconut Grove Jugglers Exchange, Soulflower, Elviza's Rockabilly Hippies, stilt walker Lucky Bruno and more. We can safely assume there will be munchies as well. Admission is $12.
Mat Cat Theatre, the Miami-based theater company whose mission includes "To sniff out and ultimately create brazen stories that explore the hypermodernity of society," presents its latest, Mixtape 2: Ummagumma Forza Zuma, "a new theatrical stew fashioned under the strain of metamorphosis." The collection of plays and films takes place at 8 p.m. now through January 19 at Miami Theater Center, 9806 NE 2nd Ave., and features a motley crew of artists including Darin Gray of On Fillmore. General admission tickets are $30 and can be purchased at www.madcattheatre.org.
- Moonlighting, whisky, Nicola's big 5-0, booze, books & Jacko
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches