Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
Relax at the new spa at the Viceroy, cook with strangers, jam out to Spam's fifth album, and chill out at the Freehand
Just Say Spaaah
As part of the unveiling of the Spa at Viceroy's (485 Brickell Ave.) new menu, the swanktacular pampering spot is throwing a big spa party from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28 featuring free food from the hotel's new restaurant 15th & Vine Kitchen and Bar as well as signature cocktails from Southern Wine & Spirits, Coastal Wine & Spirits and Imperial Brands. There will also be free trials of the latest services including hydrafacials, makeup applications, spray tans and hand, lip and eye treatments. Samples too. All completely free and open to the public with RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joe Che, founder of NYC-based Chaos Cooking, says that "The Miami community has been exploding and I'm jealous of all the fun you have been having," so he's taking his talents to Miami -- not South Beach -- specifically, Neo Lofts, 10 SW South River Dr., #1806, where, from 6 to 10 p.m. Sunday, March 2, things are gonna get messy and delicious with a "participatory cooking extravaganza." Apparently how it goes is that participants -- random strangers in someone's home -- bring ingredients for one dish to cook together in the same space. Not quite Top Chef, but not quite Iron Chef either. "All recipes must be finished and returned to "original condition by the end of the event, while everyone is socializing, enjoying drinks and eating tasty dishes." Rules are that everyone has to make something and everyone has to clean up. "Together we cook, we eat, we laugh, we make a mess, we clean it up and it's beautiful," says Che. Cooking with random strangers -- sounds more Real World than anything. Especially considering there's no cost to participate. A caveat from Che, however: "Think about what you'd like to make, invite people you trust, tweet and blog about the event using #chaoscooking." Good luck and bon appetit. For more information and to sign up, email email@example.com.
Spam We Jam
The Spam Allstars have been busy in the studio recording a full length album, "Electrodomesticos," and will emerge from there to headline The Stage, 170 NE 38th St. at 9 p.m. Saturday, March 1. Joining the Allstars is opening act, Hialeah's Latin Funk Kings, Electric Piquete. The This is It food truck will be outside on the patio. For more information, go to thestagemiami.com.
Getting Along Swimmingly
If it's Sunday, it must be time for a pool party, but not just any pool party, of course. Enter the Chocolate Shaker's Chocolate Sundays, a retro fab splash fest from 3 to 11 p.m. at the Broken Shaker at the Freehand Miami, which, according to its producers I Am Your Villain, it will be "one f**king amazing Sunday afternoon." Barbecue and music start immediately and the shallow end and deep end will fuse in the middle until the sun sets.
- Rock legends, beer, booze, an 80s prom & Greased Lightning, Charlie Brown
- Wynwood Art Auction, P.I.G. & funk 'n' jazz
- Sidebar opens in Little Havana, A Night in Monte Carlo (in Coral Gables), "Bette Midler" at the Cabaret and Full Mooning in Wynwood
- Beatniks, Art, Disco, More Disco and Strippers - it's not just Halloween, it's Miami!
- Last call at Tobacco Road, free culture @ YoungArts, Pitbull & Enrique after party
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove
- Velvet Underground: Sneaker Pimps rejoice at Grand Central with Cam'ron and HaVen South Beach hosts Bar Wars
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party