Velvet Underground: The SLS retrofits iconic 'rubber ducky' for Art Basel, Chris Willis performs at the Eden Roc, and let it snow in Brickell
Miami artist Alexander Mijares fills the pool at The SLS with rubber duckies, free French cheese in Midtown, and more art meets fashion at the Eden Roc
Hyde Beach (1701 Collins Ave.) jumps on the Basel bandwagon by dedicating its XIV Sessions pool party from 2 p.m. until dusk Saturday, Dec. 7 to it, featuring local artist Alexander Mijares, who will unveil his interpretation of SLS's giant rubber ducky. The pool will also have hundreds of colorful rubber duckies painted with Mijares' artwork. All that's missing are Bert and Ernie. Or will they be there? Hmmm. For reservations, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whachou Singin' Bout Willis?
Chris Willis, a singer whose voice may be best recognized for its collaborations with house music macher David Guetta, will be performing at the Sunset Rendez Vous Art Basel edition party, taking place from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 at the Eden Roc Miami Beach, 4525 Collins Ave. In addition to Willis, there will be art -- because what's a party during Art Basel without art? Food, drink and a fashion show -- because what's a Miami party without a fashion show -- round out the night. RSVP is mandatory with full names, please, send to email@example.com.
No, we're not talking about Chippendale's coming to Mansion in January, but rather Cheeses of France's free cheese tasting, edible art displays and wine from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8 at Midtown Miami's Midtown Boulevard, between NE 31st and NE 32nd Streets. This, part of the Eat Art movement, showcasing three very avant-garde artists is free and open to the public. Dorothée Selz, known as the “Eat Art” baby, who began work as an artist in the late 1960s; Antoni Miralda, who with Daniel Spoeri created the “Eat Art” movement and who later opened The Food Culture Museum, an informal museum preserving diverse popular food culture throughout the world; and Krai, an artist from Thailand currently residing in Paris, who adapted his art of sculpturing tropical fruits to the French culture and is now the only sculptor on cheeses in the world. In addition, six cheese companies from France will offer samples of more than 15 different types of French cheeses.
For those who either saw too much art, not enough art, or just feel like boozing to celebrate the end of the corporate centipede that is Art Basel Miami Beach, check out Tongue & Cheek's (431 Washington Ave.) Art Basel Hangover Happy Hour from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10 featuring a pop-up store by foodcentric design brand Flavour Gallery, food and booze. Lots of it.
Let It Snow
Insert snow in Miami joke here. Ok, so anyway, in celebration of the entirely too early for holiday season, Conrad Miami, 1395 Brickell Ave., is having a blizzard every 30 minutes from 6:30 until 9:30 p.m. every night from now through Dec. 21 on the 25th floor. Yup, it will snow up there. To make the occasion even more spirited, a December 19 Mistletoe Happy Hour is planned for The Bar @LvL25 from 5 to 9 p.m. during which time seasonal snacks and drinks will be half off. The first 100 people there will get a gift.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo