Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
Pirate Stereo spins at Patpong on Fridays, a mini-festival next to Soyka on Saturday, and support for DJ Mark Leventhal continues
Who doesn't love a pirate-themed night, especially when that pirate is aural (with an a, pervs) as it will be every Friday night at Patpong Road, 1661 Meridian Ave. There, you'll hear various local, national and "sometimes even surprise international guest DJs." The party, Pirate Stereo & Friends is anticipating a crowd of "Miami's trendsetters, industry leaders, musicians and artist with a sound that combines sultry indie dance and deep house, along with rock 'n' roll funk edits. That's a lot going on. Also happening is a new late night snack and beverage menu with street food vaves from Khong and "trendy drinks of the 90s with a tongue-in-cheek edge. Cosmo without Sex and the City references anyone?
Celebrating "What makes Miami, well... Miami," Palette Miami Festival, from 3 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5700 Biscayne Blvd. next to Soyka, is a day of food, drink, music, art, performers and those who love them. There, you'll sample the finest fare from places like Pride & Joy, The District, Dogma, Andiamo, Lime and more. Wash it all down with beer and sake from Wynwood Brewing Co. and Hiro Sake Tastings to the tune of music by U2 tribute band U2 by UV, Jay Blues Band, Pelvis, and Birdman's Clambake. A portion of the proceeds go to Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami Dade. General admission tickets are $40 and include a beer and sake tasting, psychic reading, and more. To purchase, go to palettemiami.com.
Fat is the New Black
Proving that South Beach nightlife is not plagued solely by self-involved wankage, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 10, the legendary nocturnal throwback of the beach's halcyon days, Fat Black Pussycat, returns for one night only at FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. in honor of ailing DJ Mark Leventhal. The party will be hosted by many of Leventhal's friends and colleagues -- past and present -- and will feature music by DJ Radamas, DJ Mauricio Skam and DJ Epps. Entry is a minimum donation of $20 to support the Leventhal fund. That grants you access to 40s, fried chicken in honor of Leventhal's Home Cookin' parties and an open bar from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is expected to be at capacity and table reservations are highly recommended by calling 305-924-4071.
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: the Regent Cocktail Club channels Spain on Mondays, Wonderland serves food with a twist, and plenty of party spots for Super Bowl Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Drink around the world in the Design District, go on a Mystery Date for MOCA, and let a lo-fi folk singer serenade you at the Freehand
- Velvet Underground: Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana play in North Beach, the Taj Mahal in Sunny Isles, and a block party on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables
- Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road
- Happy hour at PB Steak, Sunday pool parties at Mayfair Hotel and Bingo at The Standard