Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
Pirate Stereo spins at Patpong on Fridays, a mini-festival next to Soyka on Saturday, and support for DJ Mark Leventhal continues
Who doesn't love a pirate-themed night, especially when that pirate is aural (with an a, pervs) as it will be every Friday night at Patpong Road, 1661 Meridian Ave. There, you'll hear various local, national and "sometimes even surprise international guest DJs." The party, Pirate Stereo & Friends is anticipating a crowd of "Miami's trendsetters, industry leaders, musicians and artist with a sound that combines sultry indie dance and deep house, along with rock 'n' roll funk edits. That's a lot going on. Also happening is a new late night snack and beverage menu with street food vaves from Khong and "trendy drinks of the 90s with a tongue-in-cheek edge. Cosmo without Sex and the City references anyone?
Celebrating "What makes Miami, well... Miami," Palette Miami Festival, from 3 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5700 Biscayne Blvd. next to Soyka, is a day of food, drink, music, art, performers and those who love them. There, you'll sample the finest fare from places like Pride & Joy, The District, Dogma, Andiamo, Lime and more. Wash it all down with beer and sake from Wynwood Brewing Co. and Hiro Sake Tastings to the tune of music by U2 tribute band U2 by UV, Jay Blues Band, Pelvis, and Birdman's Clambake. A portion of the proceeds go to Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami Dade. General admission tickets are $40 and include a beer and sake tasting, psychic reading, and more. To purchase, go to palettemiami.com.
Fat is the New Black
Proving that South Beach nightlife is not plagued solely by self-involved wankage, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 10, the legendary nocturnal throwback of the beach's halcyon days, Fat Black Pussycat, returns for one night only at FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. in honor of ailing DJ Mark Leventhal. The party will be hosted by many of Leventhal's friends and colleagues -- past and present -- and will feature music by DJ Radamas, DJ Mauricio Skam and DJ Epps. Entry is a minimum donation of $20 to support the Leventhal fund. That grants you access to 40s, fried chicken in honor of Leventhal's Home Cookin' parties and an open bar from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is expected to be at capacity and table reservations are highly recommended by calling 305-924-4071.
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays