Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
Pirate Stereo spins at Patpong on Fridays, a mini-festival next to Soyka on Saturday, and support for DJ Mark Leventhal continues
Who doesn't love a pirate-themed night, especially when that pirate is aural (with an a, pervs) as it will be every Friday night at Patpong Road, 1661 Meridian Ave. There, you'll hear various local, national and "sometimes even surprise international guest DJs." The party, Pirate Stereo & Friends is anticipating a crowd of "Miami's trendsetters, industry leaders, musicians and artist with a sound that combines sultry indie dance and deep house, along with rock 'n' roll funk edits. That's a lot going on. Also happening is a new late night snack and beverage menu with street food vaves from Khong and "trendy drinks of the 90s with a tongue-in-cheek edge. Cosmo without Sex and the City references anyone?
Celebrating "What makes Miami, well... Miami," Palette Miami Festival, from 3 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5700 Biscayne Blvd. next to Soyka, is a day of food, drink, music, art, performers and those who love them. There, you'll sample the finest fare from places like Pride & Joy, The District, Dogma, Andiamo, Lime and more. Wash it all down with beer and sake from Wynwood Brewing Co. and Hiro Sake Tastings to the tune of music by U2 tribute band U2 by UV, Jay Blues Band, Pelvis, and Birdman's Clambake. A portion of the proceeds go to Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami Dade. General admission tickets are $40 and include a beer and sake tasting, psychic reading, and more. To purchase, go to palettemiami.com.
Fat is the New Black
Proving that South Beach nightlife is not plagued solely by self-involved wankage, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 10, the legendary nocturnal throwback of the beach's halcyon days, Fat Black Pussycat, returns for one night only at FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. in honor of ailing DJ Mark Leventhal. The party will be hosted by many of Leventhal's friends and colleagues -- past and present -- and will feature music by DJ Radamas, DJ Mauricio Skam and DJ Epps. Entry is a minimum donation of $20 to support the Leventhal fund. That grants you access to 40s, fried chicken in honor of Leventhal's Home Cookin' parties and an open bar from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is expected to be at capacity and table reservations are highly recommended by calling 305-924-4071.
- Sake, beer, oysters and Basel, Art Basel
- Rok'n burgers on 73rd St., rockin' authors hit Rock Bottom at Arsht, Dom at The Dutch & Sweet Liberty's sweet deal
- LUCKYRICE at the Raleigh, PIG in Wynwood, a pre-Pride Soiree & showboating on Fisher Island with the Pointer Sisters
- New lounges, poolside rap parties, free concerts, food fetes & dinner with Uncle Luke
- Spooky, boozy, cool: Halloween week in Miami and beyond
- Scary movies, Hitchcocking, Miami bassing & spooky mansion parties
- Miami's booze & boogie scene heats up with a new club & more reasons to eat, drink & be merry
- Touchdowns (you hope), tequila, cheese, pre-game parties and boozing in the Grove
- Cabarets, supper clubs, oysters, bubbles, beer gardens, yoga & house music all night long
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing