Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
Pirate Stereo spins at Patpong on Fridays, a mini-festival next to Soyka on Saturday, and support for DJ Mark Leventhal continues
Who doesn't love a pirate-themed night, especially when that pirate is aural (with an a, pervs) as it will be every Friday night at Patpong Road, 1661 Meridian Ave. There, you'll hear various local, national and "sometimes even surprise international guest DJs." The party, Pirate Stereo & Friends is anticipating a crowd of "Miami's trendsetters, industry leaders, musicians and artist with a sound that combines sultry indie dance and deep house, along with rock 'n' roll funk edits. That's a lot going on. Also happening is a new late night snack and beverage menu with street food vaves from Khong and "trendy drinks of the 90s with a tongue-in-cheek edge. Cosmo without Sex and the City references anyone?
Celebrating "What makes Miami, well... Miami," Palette Miami Festival, from 3 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5700 Biscayne Blvd. next to Soyka, is a day of food, drink, music, art, performers and those who love them. There, you'll sample the finest fare from places like Pride & Joy, The District, Dogma, Andiamo, Lime and more. Wash it all down with beer and sake from Wynwood Brewing Co. and Hiro Sake Tastings to the tune of music by U2 tribute band U2 by UV, Jay Blues Band, Pelvis, and Birdman's Clambake. A portion of the proceeds go to Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami Dade. General admission tickets are $40 and include a beer and sake tasting, psychic reading, and more. To purchase, go to palettemiami.com.
Fat is the New Black
Proving that South Beach nightlife is not plagued solely by self-involved wankage, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 10, the legendary nocturnal throwback of the beach's halcyon days, Fat Black Pussycat, returns for one night only at FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. in honor of ailing DJ Mark Leventhal. The party will be hosted by many of Leventhal's friends and colleagues -- past and present -- and will feature music by DJ Radamas, DJ Mauricio Skam and DJ Epps. Entry is a minimum donation of $20 to support the Leventhal fund. That grants you access to 40s, fried chicken in honor of Leventhal's Home Cookin' parties and an open bar from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is expected to be at capacity and table reservations are highly recommended by calling 305-924-4071.
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore
- Santana at Trump, Purim, a Wall Brawl in Wynwood and the Shelley Novak Awards!
- FDR & Electric Pickle Anniversary Bashes, Battioke, Rolling Loud & Fools' Paradise at Churchill's