Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
Pirate Stereo spins at Patpong on Fridays, a mini-festival next to Soyka on Saturday, and support for DJ Mark Leventhal continues
Who doesn't love a pirate-themed night, especially when that pirate is aural (with an a, pervs) as it will be every Friday night at Patpong Road, 1661 Meridian Ave. There, you'll hear various local, national and "sometimes even surprise international guest DJs." The party, Pirate Stereo & Friends is anticipating a crowd of "Miami's trendsetters, industry leaders, musicians and artist with a sound that combines sultry indie dance and deep house, along with rock 'n' roll funk edits. That's a lot going on. Also happening is a new late night snack and beverage menu with street food vaves from Khong and "trendy drinks of the 90s with a tongue-in-cheek edge. Cosmo without Sex and the City references anyone?
Celebrating "What makes Miami, well... Miami," Palette Miami Festival, from 3 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5700 Biscayne Blvd. next to Soyka, is a day of food, drink, music, art, performers and those who love them. There, you'll sample the finest fare from places like Pride & Joy, The District, Dogma, Andiamo, Lime and more. Wash it all down with beer and sake from Wynwood Brewing Co. and Hiro Sake Tastings to the tune of music by U2 tribute band U2 by UV, Jay Blues Band, Pelvis, and Birdman's Clambake. A portion of the proceeds go to Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami Dade. General admission tickets are $40 and include a beer and sake tasting, psychic reading, and more. To purchase, go to palettemiami.com.
Fat is the New Black
Proving that South Beach nightlife is not plagued solely by self-involved wankage, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 10, the legendary nocturnal throwback of the beach's halcyon days, Fat Black Pussycat, returns for one night only at FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. in honor of ailing DJ Mark Leventhal. The party will be hosted by many of Leventhal's friends and colleagues -- past and present -- and will feature music by DJ Radamas, DJ Mauricio Skam and DJ Epps. Entry is a minimum donation of $20 to support the Leventhal fund. That grants you access to 40s, fried chicken in honor of Leventhal's Home Cookin' parties and an open bar from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is expected to be at capacity and table reservations are highly recommended by calling 305-924-4071.
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard