Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
The Fit to Fight Challenge comes to Miami and Grand Central brings disco fever back
What's the Hurry?
When it comes to the locavore movement, there's something to be said about sourcing your entertainment locally, with locals, for locals and by locals. That's exactly the story on Thursdays at Rec Room, 1690 Collins Ave., where from 11 p.m. on a guest DJ will spin in addition to resident DJs Reid Waters and Christa Marie as they "bring it back to basics by maneuvering old school street style with eclectic genres." That's fancyspeak for good tunes. And, from what we hear, good people.
If you've ever been so ravenous that you wanted to eat your way through an entire neighborhood, Saturday, June 28 is your chance to do just that at The Kitchen Hop Brickell. From 3 - 7 p.m., area restaurants will serve up appetizers and entrees along with drink specials ($3 beers, $5 cocktails). At the end of the scavenging, an after party will provide a free cocktail and live entertainment. Tickets are $18.
From stuffing your face on Brickell, we move on to kicking off a weight loss challenge from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday, June 30, when Top Chef All Stars runner up Mike Isabella brings his Fit to Fight challenge to Miami, specifically Tongue & Cheek, 431 Washington Ave., where chef/owner Jamie DeRosa will lead the 12-week slim down challenge to raise funds for Live to Fight, a non-profit organization that raises money and support from the martial arts and MMA community for people with life-threatening illnesses. The kick-off will feature free passed hors d'oeuvres (dietetic we doubt), a meet and greet with participating chefs (OTC executive chef Jacob Anaya, Timo's Tim Andriola, Toscana Divino's Julian Baker, Sugarcane's Timon Baloo, Joe's Andre Bienvenu, Meat Market's Sean Brasel, EDGE Steak & Bar's Aaron Brooks, HaVen's Todd Erickson, J&G Grill's Brad Kilgore, MC Kitchen's Dena Marino and Alba Seaside Italian's Ralph Pagano) and trainers and a cash bar. Event is open to the public.
Those of us, ahem, who would prefer a roller rink to a hockey stadium may want to get the four wheels out and head to Grand Central, 697 N. Miami Ave., at 11 p.m. Monday, June 30, when the place turns into a fantastic homage to the days of disco--think Studio 54 meets Xanadu. That's right, while Grand Central morphs into a skate park complete with requisite disco ball, legendary Studio 54 DJ Nicky Siano will be spinning a stellar soundtrack of oldies, but recently goodies again thanks to the likes of disco legend Giorgio Moroder and neo disco trailblazers Daft Punk, among others.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard