Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
Party with a Picasso at Bâoli, a night in Barcelona in Brickell, see rap stars go royal in Wynwood, and rock out with 'real' music at The Cabaret
Funky Wynwood arty spot Lulu Laboratorium, 173 NW 23rd St. has a new exhibit up now through April 15 that's guaranteed attract a motley crew of hipsters and hipsters in their own minds. Artist Kai Guetta's (nephew to Mr. Brainwash) appropriately titled "Now Royalty" includes 27 works "featuring a diversity of urban music super stars donning classic royal attire." Sort of like Kanye on the cover of Vogue, but that just makes us shudder. Sip some wine, pretend to analyze the pictures on a level deeper than was meant or browse the shop selling threads and some other hipster approved bikes, headphones and gear. The lab is open daily until 6 p.m., and stays open Wednesday through Fridays until 8 p.m.
Mastering the quickly approaching Winter Music Conference is an art to some, especially for Florian Picasso, the 23-year-old grandson of the legendary Pablo, who will spin Saturday, March 29 at Bâoli, 1906 Collins Ave. Picasso is said to be making an impressive mark on the tech-house and dance music scene, an aurally explosive world that makes some actually want to follow more in the footsteps of another great artist, Vincent Van Gogh, and cut their ears off. To each his own. The event, meanwhile, is free open to the public. Doors open at 7 p.m., Picasso starts spinning at around 11:30 p.m. According to insiders, there will also be a surprise DJ appearance whose name is a big secret.
Or should we say Barthelona? You may do so without getting funny looks or speech therapists' business cards at 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 1, no joke, at Perfecto Gastrobar, 1450 Brickell Ave., which is welcoming several Spanish dignitaries including Mayor Xavier Trias of Barcelona. The "very Catalonian-inspired event," kicks off with a welcome cocktail and, we can only assume, continues with many more.
Now that Soho Beach House, 4385 Collins Ave., has done some Spring house cleaning of its own, bringing on a new board, many people are curious as to what's going on in that place. A great place to start--membership not required--is Cecconi's, which now offers a very affordable appetizer menu of $4 to $7 bar bites Tuesday through Saturday. Booze is on sale, too, at $4 for Peroni drafts and assorted $7 glasses of wine and cocktails.
Come Hear the Music Play
Try to find a place around town where DJ doesn't mean pushing buttons on an iPad and we've got a bridge in Jersey to close down. All kidding aside, according to owner Edison Farrow, "No DJs will be found at The Cabaret South Beach during WMC. Only real, live music, piano, guitar, drums, vocals will be performed." Hear for yourselves daily from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. at 233 12th Street. During happy hours of 7 to 9 p.m., beer, wine and well drinks are two-for-one. Play that on your iPad.
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach