Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
The Baboons celebrate two decades of music, half-priced drinks and free food at E11even, access to WMC parties and Swine's 1st birthday
After a three-year hiatus, Miami's Latin-funk pioneers "The Baboons" will celebrate two decades of musical evolution with a show 10 p.m. on Saturday, March 22 at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. In addition to the band's greatest hits, they'll play some much anticipated new material "inspired by the birth of four Baboon babies," says the press release. “We’re honored to have inspired and been inspired by many great bands through the years, and we’re ecstatic to unleash The Baboons once again," says lead singer Majica. Special guests will also perform including the bill-sharing "Nag Champayons." Cover is $10.
Flesh & Free Food
New at E11even, the swanky strip club at 29 NE 11th St.,is a 4 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday happy hour featuring half-priced cocktails, beers and wines and a free "lavish international buffet" with food stations of mojo marinated pork, chicken dishes, pasta, assorted cheeses, meats and a fresh pastry station, among other things. We asked if there were also nude women during that time and were told ever so vaguely yet so transparently by a PR rep, "Because the club has a cabaret component, there are always entertainers." In other words, yes, yes indeed.
Band on the Run
Before you say eff you to WMC and its throngs of tweaked out, sold out crowds, consider buying an appropriately titled F*** YOU BAND, a $999 wrist band granting immediate priority entry to nine different venues around town from March 22 through March 31. Those venues include sold out shows at Club Space, Mansion, Cameo, SET, Ice Palace Studios, Mokai and pool parties at The Surfcomber, The Raleigh, The Shelborne and The National. These aren't just any shows, either. Perhaps you've heard of some of the artists: Skrillex, Zed and Above & Beyond (Mansion), Thomas Gold (Space), Cedric Gervais (Shelborne), Cosmic Gate (SET), and Robbie Rivera (Mokai), among other shows. Wristbands are expected to sell out fast, so hustle over to fyoubands.com to get yours.
A Year of Swine and Roses
Congrats to Swine Southern Table & Bar, 2415 Ponce De Leon Blvd., for hitting the big oh one. In celebration of 365 days in biz, the Coral Gables hot spot celebrates with food and drink specials all day on Monday, March 24. The party kicks into high gear at 7 p.m. with a performance by local blues quartet the Jay Valor Ban. Specials include $5 Swine Burgers and $2 Swine Old Fashioneds made with bacon-washed rye, maple syrup and house-made bitters. Nothing to snort at there.
- Sake, beer, oysters and Basel, Art Basel
- Rok'n burgers on 73rd St., rockin' authors hit Rock Bottom at Arsht, Dom at The Dutch & Sweet Liberty's sweet deal
- LUCKYRICE at the Raleigh, PIG in Wynwood, a pre-Pride Soiree & showboating on Fisher Island with the Pointer Sisters
- New lounges, poolside rap parties, free concerts, food fetes & dinner with Uncle Luke
- Spooky, boozy, cool: Halloween week in Miami and beyond
- Scary movies, Hitchcocking, Miami bassing & spooky mansion parties
- Miami's booze & boogie scene heats up with a new club & more reasons to eat, drink & be merry
- Touchdowns (you hope), tequila, cheese, pre-game parties and boozing in the Grove
- Cabarets, supper clubs, oysters, bubbles, beer gardens, yoga & house music all night long
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing