Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
The Baboons celebrate two decades of music, half-priced drinks and free food at E11even, access to WMC parties and Swine's 1st birthday
After a three-year hiatus, Miami's Latin-funk pioneers "The Baboons" will celebrate two decades of musical evolution with a show 10 p.m. on Saturday, March 22 at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. In addition to the band's greatest hits, they'll play some much anticipated new material "inspired by the birth of four Baboon babies," says the press release. “We’re honored to have inspired and been inspired by many great bands through the years, and we’re ecstatic to unleash The Baboons once again," says lead singer Majica. Special guests will also perform including the bill-sharing "Nag Champayons." Cover is $10.
Flesh & Free Food
New at E11even, the swanky strip club at 29 NE 11th St.,is a 4 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday happy hour featuring half-priced cocktails, beers and wines and a free "lavish international buffet" with food stations of mojo marinated pork, chicken dishes, pasta, assorted cheeses, meats and a fresh pastry station, among other things. We asked if there were also nude women during that time and were told ever so vaguely yet so transparently by a PR rep, "Because the club has a cabaret component, there are always entertainers." In other words, yes, yes indeed.
Band on the Run
Before you say eff you to WMC and its throngs of tweaked out, sold out crowds, consider buying an appropriately titled F*** YOU BAND, a $999 wrist band granting immediate priority entry to nine different venues around town from March 22 through March 31. Those venues include sold out shows at Club Space, Mansion, Cameo, SET, Ice Palace Studios, Mokai and pool parties at The Surfcomber, The Raleigh, The Shelborne and The National. These aren't just any shows, either. Perhaps you've heard of some of the artists: Skrillex, Zed and Above & Beyond (Mansion), Thomas Gold (Space), Cedric Gervais (Shelborne), Cosmic Gate (SET), and Robbie Rivera (Mokai), among other shows. Wristbands are expected to sell out fast, so hustle over to fyoubands.com to get yours.
A Year of Swine and Roses
Congrats to Swine Southern Table & Bar, 2415 Ponce De Leon Blvd., for hitting the big oh one. In celebration of 365 days in biz, the Coral Gables hot spot celebrates with food and drink specials all day on Monday, March 24. The party kicks into high gear at 7 p.m. with a performance by local blues quartet the Jay Valor Ban. Specials include $5 Swine Burgers and $2 Swine Old Fashioneds made with bacon-washed rye, maple syrup and house-made bitters. Nothing to snort at there.
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach