Abundant bubbly, a masquerade and Wynwood Radio
This week's Velvet Underground has plenty of champagne, a vodka masquerade soiree and a live radio show with some of Miami's hottest bands.
In celebration of its new home on Wynwood Radio, musical performance and interview program “Sound Theory Live” is hosting a big 2-hour concert at 7 p.m. Friday, May 10 at The Stage, 170 NE 38th St, whose owner Carlos Garcia happens to also be the host of the radio show. Slated to play live and be interviewed on the maiden Wynwood Radio webcast are: Afrobeta, Electric Piquete, Brendan O'Hara, Radioboxer, Humbert, The Problem Kids, Bachaco as well as veteran Miami DJs DJ Sire Esq., DJ Manuvers and more. Expect surprise guests as well. Those unable to attend can listen to the live webcast at www.wynwoodradio.com. Admission is free until 11 p.m. and $5 after; there will also be 2-for-1 happy hour drink specials from 6 to 9 p.m. and other specials throughout the night. For more information on the radio show, go to www.soundtheorylive.net.
Area 31 (270 Biscayne Blvd. Way) is about to expand its outdoor, uh, area while the dining room is closed for renovations. The enlarged outdoor lounge will feature a new menu of small bites, summer grilled fare, seasonal stir-fry and 'curated cocktails.' All new menu items are priced under $16. Inside, a facelift will eventually unveil new floors, lighting, seating and artwork. Also back outside is Area 31's nightly Veuve on the Clock happy hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. with by the glass prices based on the hour ($5-$7). And, because this is Miami after all, the restaurant's resident DJ spins from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday.
Promotional booze parties are as ubiquitous as an open Bacardi bar at a Miami event, but from 9 p.m. to midnight on Thursday, May 16 at Soho Studios, 2136 NW 1st Ave., Absolut X is throwing a masquerade ball in collaboration with Miami artist Agustina Woodgate, British indie rock band Bloc Party and master mixologist John Lermayer. Of course there will be lots of Absolut served, too. Best part about it all? It's free and open to the public. Just RSVP at http://absolutx.com/rsvpmiamimusicartcocktails20130516.
Just in time for the sweaty months of summer, The Forge has brought back its annual Friday Clambake, taking place weekly at 6 p.m. and featuring a $49 all-inclusive menu of foodstuffs and two for one draft beers all night long. While The Forge is a pretty chic place, we asked if Clam diggers and casual wear were allowed, to which executive chef Dewey Losasso replied, "There’s a great dichotomy that exists now at The Forge on Fridays, with our Veuve Clicquot Happy Hour taking place on one side of the restaurant and our Clambake on the other. Friday is the perfect night to bring guests together for a social, casual and affordable summer night on the town. Feel free to bring your clam diggers!”
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach