Abundant bubbly, a masquerade and Wynwood Radio
This week's Velvet Underground has plenty of champagne, a vodka masquerade soiree and a live radio show with some of Miami's hottest bands.
In celebration of its new home on Wynwood Radio, musical performance and interview program “Sound Theory Live” is hosting a big 2-hour concert at 7 p.m. Friday, May 10 at The Stage, 170 NE 38th St, whose owner Carlos Garcia happens to also be the host of the radio show. Slated to play live and be interviewed on the maiden Wynwood Radio webcast are: Afrobeta, Electric Piquete, Brendan O'Hara, Radioboxer, Humbert, The Problem Kids, Bachaco as well as veteran Miami DJs DJ Sire Esq., DJ Manuvers and more. Expect surprise guests as well. Those unable to attend can listen to the live webcast at www.wynwoodradio.com. Admission is free until 11 p.m. and $5 after; there will also be 2-for-1 happy hour drink specials from 6 to 9 p.m. and other specials throughout the night. For more information on the radio show, go to www.soundtheorylive.net.
Area 31 (270 Biscayne Blvd. Way) is about to expand its outdoor, uh, area while the dining room is closed for renovations. The enlarged outdoor lounge will feature a new menu of small bites, summer grilled fare, seasonal stir-fry and 'curated cocktails.' All new menu items are priced under $16. Inside, a facelift will eventually unveil new floors, lighting, seating and artwork. Also back outside is Area 31's nightly Veuve on the Clock happy hour from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. with by the glass prices based on the hour ($5-$7). And, because this is Miami after all, the restaurant's resident DJ spins from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday.
Promotional booze parties are as ubiquitous as an open Bacardi bar at a Miami event, but from 9 p.m. to midnight on Thursday, May 16 at Soho Studios, 2136 NW 1st Ave., Absolut X is throwing a masquerade ball in collaboration with Miami artist Agustina Woodgate, British indie rock band Bloc Party and master mixologist John Lermayer. Of course there will be lots of Absolut served, too. Best part about it all? It's free and open to the public. Just RSVP at http://absolutx.com/rsvpmiamimusicartcocktails20130516.
Just in time for the sweaty months of summer, The Forge has brought back its annual Friday Clambake, taking place weekly at 6 p.m. and featuring a $49 all-inclusive menu of foodstuffs and two for one draft beers all night long. While The Forge is a pretty chic place, we asked if Clam diggers and casual wear were allowed, to which executive chef Dewey Losasso replied, "There’s a great dichotomy that exists now at The Forge on Fridays, with our Veuve Clicquot Happy Hour taking place on one side of the restaurant and our Clambake on the other. Friday is the perfect night to bring guests together for a social, casual and affordable summer night on the town. Feel free to bring your clam diggers!”
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more