Gerry Kelly's annual bash, Full Moon party and an underground jam at Culture Room
Gerry Kelly's annual bash, Full Moon party and an underground jam at Culture Room.
Rock 'n' Rank
If it seems as if everyone you encounter thinks they're either rock stars or royalty. You may be right, at least starting at 10 p.m. Saturday, June 22, when nightlife veteran Gerry Kelly throws his annual, bombastic birthday bash, this time at the Newport Beachside Resort & Hotel, 16701 Collins Ave. This year's theme? Rockstars and Royalty. The party starts with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and continues with music, performances and dancing. Also making appearances: Casamigos Tequila--also known as the George Clooney tequila and a royal cake by Carolina Montoya and Luis Fernando Puga. DJ RetroKidd and DJ LaTrice will spin. For those looking to start a bit early, Kitchen 305 has a special surf and turf dinner starting at 7 p.m. for $35 per person. For reservations call 305-749-2110.
Above Ground Cool
Members of the underground jam community and live-electronic scene will coverge at 8 p.m. Friday, June 21 at the Culture Room, 305 N. Federal Highway, when the band Papadosio joins "low-endie rock" band Stokeswood as part of the AURA Music & Arts Festival Concert Series. The show is part of Papadosio's T.E.T.I.O.S. (to End the Illusion of Separation) summer tour and will, says a fellow undergrounder, "showcase improvisational interludes and refreshing vocal harmonies with an amplified message of transcendence, unity and universal understanding." Groovy. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. The show is 18 and over. For more information, go to www.cultureroom.net.
Free Cocktails Alert!
In celebration of its new seafood driven summer menu, Florida Cookery at The James Royal Palm, 1545 Collins Ave., is throwing a party from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, June 21 on its newly opened patio. Guests who RSVP to FloridaCookery@taraink.com will get free signature cocktails and samples from the new menu.
Once in a Full Moon
Downtown Miami is a trippy place no matter how big or small the moon may be, but at 9 p.m. Saturday, June 22, it will be the trippiest as the downtown Full Moon party at LMNT, 55 NW 36th St., ends its season with live music sets by Juke and Cosmo Clectic as well as assorted drumming, fire performances and other loony lunar distractions. Party goes until 4 a.m. and is $5 before 10 p.m., $10 before midnight and $15 after midnight. There’s free admission before 11 p.m. for all drummers, musicians and performers “with proper instruments and spinning props/gears.”
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island