Gerry Kelly's annual bash, Full Moon party and an underground jam at Culture Room
Gerry Kelly's annual bash, Full Moon party and an underground jam at Culture Room.
Rock 'n' Rank
If it seems as if everyone you encounter thinks they're either rock stars or royalty. You may be right, at least starting at 10 p.m. Saturday, June 22, when nightlife veteran Gerry Kelly throws his annual, bombastic birthday bash, this time at the Newport Beachside Resort & Hotel, 16701 Collins Ave. This year's theme? Rockstars and Royalty. The party starts with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and continues with music, performances and dancing. Also making appearances: Casamigos Tequila--also known as the George Clooney tequila and a royal cake by Carolina Montoya and Luis Fernando Puga. DJ RetroKidd and DJ LaTrice will spin. For those looking to start a bit early, Kitchen 305 has a special surf and turf dinner starting at 7 p.m. for $35 per person. For reservations call 305-749-2110.
Above Ground Cool
Members of the underground jam community and live-electronic scene will coverge at 8 p.m. Friday, June 21 at the Culture Room, 305 N. Federal Highway, when the band Papadosio joins "low-endie rock" band Stokeswood as part of the AURA Music & Arts Festival Concert Series. The show is part of Papadosio's T.E.T.I.O.S. (to End the Illusion of Separation) summer tour and will, says a fellow undergrounder, "showcase improvisational interludes and refreshing vocal harmonies with an amplified message of transcendence, unity and universal understanding." Groovy. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. The show is 18 and over. For more information, go to www.cultureroom.net.
Free Cocktails Alert!
In celebration of its new seafood driven summer menu, Florida Cookery at The James Royal Palm, 1545 Collins Ave., is throwing a party from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, June 21 on its newly opened patio. Guests who RSVP to FloridaCookery@taraink.com will get free signature cocktails and samples from the new menu.
Once in a Full Moon
Downtown Miami is a trippy place no matter how big or small the moon may be, but at 9 p.m. Saturday, June 22, it will be the trippiest as the downtown Full Moon party at LMNT, 55 NW 36th St., ends its season with live music sets by Juke and Cosmo Clectic as well as assorted drumming, fire performances and other loony lunar distractions. Party goes until 4 a.m. and is $5 before 10 p.m., $10 before midnight and $15 after midnight. There’s free admission before 11 p.m. for all drummers, musicians and performers “with proper instruments and spinning props/gears.”
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open