Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
Shop for flowers at AZUL in Merrick Park and support Relay for Life, party at a $40 million mansion in Miami Beach, and St. Patrick's Day celebrations pop up across town
Tipsy Through the Tulips
AZUL Merrick Park, 360 San Lorenzo Ave., sells men's and women's threads, but from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, March 14, the fashions will take a back seat to flowers via Kalla Flower's pop-up shop. 10 percent of the evening's proceeds will be donated to the Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay chapter of Relay for Life. In addition to the flora, there will also be food from neighboring SAWA Restaurant and Lounge, drink from Hill Family Estate Wines and sweets from Christopher Elbow Chocolates. The event is free and open to the public by RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Little Lighthouse, Huge Hearts
From 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, March 15 at Terra Veritatis (the $40 million waterfront compound owned by entrepreneur Bill Dean), The Little Lighthouse Foundation will throw its huge, fifth annual Hearts and Stars Gala, hosted by The Voice of Miami Beach, Buster Cox, in support of children and their families struggling with educational, financial and medical hardships. The compound, to which guests can only arrive by water taxi at 49th and Collins (valet at the Grand Beach Hotel is $17), will be transformed into Macau, complete with casino games. Of course, there will be booze -- lots of it, and food from area restaurants. For tickets, go to www.heartsandstarsgala.com.
Ever wonder what it was like during Havana's halcyon days? Miami artist Andres Conde has an idea, if not a vision, vis a vis his Social series of paintings re imagining the covers of the Vanity Fair of pre-Castro Cuba, Social magazine which will be on display in conjunction with The Cuban Art Project from 7 p.m. to midnight Friday, March 14 at the Vedado Social Club, 5580 NE 4th Ct. Conde's new covers take "was once looked upon as the height of fashion in the social circles of Havana back into the contemporary limelight of Cuban society in Miami." How do you say zeitgeist in Spanish? Discuss amongst yourselves.
A Full Deck
Duffy's in North Miami Beach, 3969 NE 163rd St., has officially turned sunbathing and poolside lounging into a sport thanks to its newly renovated pool deck which is being feted with a season launch party from 2 to 8 p.m. Saturday, March 15 to show it all off. In addition to the new lounge-style seating and tiki torches, the deck will feature DJ Jessica Bantista and the restaurant's signature 2-for-1 drink specials. While Duffy's doesn't specify a dress code, we beg of all of you who go -- please, please, keep your shoes on and throw a cover up on when you go inside. Thank you. Splash on.
Shamrock the Casbah
Next to Cinco de Mayo and, well, every day of the week, St. Patty's Day is one of Miami's favorite drinking holidays. Starting at 9 p.m. Monday, March 17, the Delano Beach Club, 1685 Collins Ave., transforms its monthly Full Moon Party into a St. Patty's themed bacchanal complete with free Guinness from 9 to 10 p.m., green decor and, er, soul jazz tunes by UNOMAS. Because nothing says St. Patrick's Day jigs like soul and jazz. For reservations call 305-924-4071.
For a more hardcore St. Patty's celebration, venerable Coral Gables pub John Martin's, 253 Miracle Mile, is throwing a two-day bash beginning with an Irish brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, March 16 ($24.50 per person or $27.50 per person including a Bloody Mary, Mimosa or Bushmills Irish coffee), and continuing all day and night with an open mic contest for the most original Irish song (with cash prizes). On the actual holiday, Monday, March 17, there will be bagpipe players from noon to 2 p.m., and a party all day and night, with the St. Patty's menu available until 11 p.m.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale