Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
Shop for flowers at AZUL in Merrick Park and support Relay for Life, party at a $40 million mansion in Miami Beach, and St. Patrick's Day celebrations pop up across town
Tipsy Through the Tulips
AZUL Merrick Park, 360 San Lorenzo Ave., sells men's and women's threads, but from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, March 14, the fashions will take a back seat to flowers via Kalla Flower's pop-up shop. 10 percent of the evening's proceeds will be donated to the Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay chapter of Relay for Life. In addition to the flora, there will also be food from neighboring SAWA Restaurant and Lounge, drink from Hill Family Estate Wines and sweets from Christopher Elbow Chocolates. The event is free and open to the public by RSVP to email@example.com.
Little Lighthouse, Huge Hearts
From 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, March 15 at Terra Veritatis (the $40 million waterfront compound owned by entrepreneur Bill Dean), The Little Lighthouse Foundation will throw its huge, fifth annual Hearts and Stars Gala, hosted by The Voice of Miami Beach, Buster Cox, in support of children and their families struggling with educational, financial and medical hardships. The compound, to which guests can only arrive by water taxi at 49th and Collins (valet at the Grand Beach Hotel is $17), will be transformed into Macau, complete with casino games. Of course, there will be booze -- lots of it, and food from area restaurants. For tickets, go to www.heartsandstarsgala.com.
A Full Deck
Duffy's in North Miami Beach, 3969 NE 163rd St., has officially turned sunbathing and poolside lounging into a sport thanks to its newly renovated pool deck which is being feted with a season launch party from 2 to 8 p.m. Saturday, March 15 to show it all off. In addition to the new lounge-style seating and tiki torches, the deck will feature DJ Jessica Bantista and the restaurant's signature 2-for-1 drink specials. While Duffy's doesn't specify a dress code, we beg of all of you who go -- please, please, keep your shoes on and throw a cover up on when you go inside. Thank you. Splash on.
Shamrock the Casbah
Next to Cinco de Mayo and, well, every day of the week, St. Patty's Day is one of Miami's favorite drinking holidays. Starting at 9 p.m. Monday, March 17, the Delano Beach Club, 1685 Collins Ave., transforms its monthly Full Moon Party into a St. Patty's themed bacchanal complete with free Guinness from 9 to 10 p.m., green decor and, er, soul jazz tunes by UNOMAS. Because nothing says St. Patrick's Day jigs like soul and jazz. For reservations call 305-924-4071.
For a more hardcore St. Patty's celebration, venerable Coral Gables pub John Martin's, 253 Miracle Mile, is throwing a two-day bash beginning with an Irish brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, March 16 ($24.50 per person or $27.50 per person including a Bloody Mary, Mimosa or Bushmills Irish coffee), and continuing all day and night with an open mic contest for the most original Irish song (with cash prizes). On the actual holiday, Monday, March 17, there will be bagpipe players from noon to 2 p.m., and a party all day and night, with the St. Patty's menu available until 11 p.m.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo