Velvet Underground: Jewish singles unite on Christmas Eve, hip hop heads south from Nashville, OTC launches happy hour in Brickell
Spend Christmas Eve with hundreds of your closest friends at the annual Matzo Ball party at LIV, gear up for open mic night at Whiskey Blue, and see turntable madness courtesy of Boom Bap DJs
We're Down With OTC
Just launched at OTC, 1250 S. Miami Ave., Miami, is a new 4 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday happy hour during which select craft beers and wines are half off. The beer selection will rotate so you won't miss all the good ones. Also half off are some of Chef Jacob Anaya's greatest hits including Okinawan croquettes, Thai chicken wings, frito pie and lamb belly sliders.
The Binding Power of Matzo
Find yourself stuck in the singles scene and just don't know what to do? Well, thanks to the, uh, binding power of matzo, Jewish singles worldwide have a place to go on Christmas Eve to stalk--er, seek their soul mates. The legendary annual Matzo Ball starts at 9 p.m. and takes place at LIV, 4441 Collins Ave, Miami Beach. Tickets are available in advance at matzoball.org or at the door -- cash only, please, for $50. Consider it an investment in your future.
Disco Dreidel Ball
Along similar lines as the Matzo Ball is this Christmas Eve celebration, 9 p.m. at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, where DJ Derek Wallin and DJ North Prep will spin. The party begins at the pool and, at midnight, moves downstairs to FDR. Tickets are $18 (that's "chai" or "life" for those of other persuasions) in advance at jspace.com.
Beginning as a monthly hip hop round robin in Nashville, The Boom Bap features resident DJs joined by guests and a host, rotating every five songs on two sets of turntables, and arrives in Miami at 10 p.m. Friday, December 26 at Blackbird Ordinary, 729 SW 1st Ave., Miami, with DJ Craze, "The man who arguably defined his hometown Miami turntablism scene," and DJ Rate, Case Bloom, DJ Ynot, Keen One and Soarse Spoken. No cover.
Didn't make The Voice, X Factor or American Idol auditions? You never know who may show up at the new Open Mic Night at Whiskey Blue W Fort Lauderdale, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., from 9 p.m. on every Thursday. Hosted by lead singer and guitar player Mitch Herrick of SOSOS, open mic night invites emerging singers and song writers to display their talent. It's no Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, but you never know. For some liquid courage, Whiskey Blue will give a drink special to each performer.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more