Velvet Underground: Jewish singles unite on Christmas Eve, hip hop heads south from Nashville, OTC launches happy hour in Brickell
Spend Christmas Eve with hundreds of your closest friends at the annual Matzo Ball party at LIV, gear up for open mic night at Whiskey Blue, and see turntable madness courtesy of Boom Bap DJs
We're Down With OTC
Just launched at OTC, 1250 S. Miami Ave., Miami, is a new 4 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday happy hour during which select craft beers and wines are half off. The beer selection will rotate so you won't miss all the good ones. Also half off are some of Chef Jacob Anaya's greatest hits including Okinawan croquettes, Thai chicken wings, frito pie and lamb belly sliders.
The Binding Power of Matzo
Find yourself stuck in the singles scene and just don't know what to do? Well, thanks to the, uh, binding power of matzo, Jewish singles worldwide have a place to go on Christmas Eve to stalk--er, seek their soul mates. The legendary annual Matzo Ball starts at 9 p.m. and takes place at LIV, 4441 Collins Ave, Miami Beach. Tickets are available in advance at matzoball.org or at the door -- cash only, please, for $50. Consider it an investment in your future.
Disco Dreidel Ball
Along similar lines as the Matzo Ball is this Christmas Eve celebration, 9 p.m. at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, where DJ Derek Wallin and DJ North Prep will spin. The party begins at the pool and, at midnight, moves downstairs to FDR. Tickets are $18 (that's "chai" or "life" for those of other persuasions) in advance at jspace.com.
Beginning as a monthly hip hop round robin in Nashville, The Boom Bap features resident DJs joined by guests and a host, rotating every five songs on two sets of turntables, and arrives in Miami at 10 p.m. Friday, December 26 at Blackbird Ordinary, 729 SW 1st Ave., Miami, with DJ Craze, "The man who arguably defined his hometown Miami turntablism scene," and DJ Rate, Case Bloom, DJ Ynot, Keen One and Soarse Spoken. No cover.
Didn't make The Voice, X Factor or American Idol auditions? You never know who may show up at the new Open Mic Night at Whiskey Blue W Fort Lauderdale, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., from 9 p.m. on every Thursday. Hosted by lead singer and guitar player Mitch Herrick of SOSOS, open mic night invites emerging singers and song writers to display their talent. It's no Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, but you never know. For some liquid courage, Whiskey Blue will give a drink special to each performer.
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop