Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
Watch the Miami Heat at Hyde AmericanAirlines Arena, Tongue & Cheek channels New England in South Beach with a Tuesday night clambake, and Biba unveils a restrospective at Conde Art Gallery
Hyde-Out for the Finals
No tickets to the NBA Eastern Conference Finals? No sweat. Hyde AmericanAirlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., is offering Hyde-only tickets starting at $75, with which you'll get to eat, drink and see the game on oversized LED screens just feet from the actual action on the court. When the game is over, stay put for the playoff party hosted by DJ Irie. The offer is good on both Saturday, May 24 and Monday, May 26. For reservations, go to hydeaaarena.com.
Free to Biba You and Me
International fashion icon turned Miami-based interior designer Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba" fame will be on hand from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday, May 24 at Conde Art: Gallery and Studio Space, 1007 SW 8th St. for the launch of Diu Vivere Reginam, a compendium of her illustrations, all signed, framed, first edition prints and originals. In addition to an expectedly stylish, original crowd, there will be something of a boozy nature available. Open to the public.
The Orange Blossom Trail
Happy Hours are like children -- the creators are always boasting how theirs is the best. And while it all may be up for debate, you can't really deny the bragging when it comes to deals on drinks and food. New on the scene is the one at Orange Blossom at Boulan South Beach, 2000 Collins Ave., featuring an "unrivaled" daily happy hour menu from 6 to 8 p.m. For the entire two hours $6 dishes and a big selection of draft beers, wines and signature cocktails are up for grabs. The best? That's debatable, too, but during these hours you're winning.
Get Wet, It Pays
It's Memorial Day Weekend and you have no plans other than to avoid the masses. Why not do something even riskier than walking up Collins Avenue in a thong? Head to Fort Lauderdale where the Gerber Group is launching Salvation Sundays (albeit this week on Monday, May 26), a summer pool party series at the W Fort Lauderdale's WET pool deck, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., where, from noon to sunset, DJ Mark Gallo, also schlepping up from Miami, will spin. A bar of Bacardi, Grey Goose, Herradura and Moet Imperial Rose will quench your thirst, and for those who don't do the 954 without the VIP, a cabana comes with a bottle of Moët bubbles. Tickets are $10 and available at fllnightlife.com. For cabana reservations, call 954-414-8300. Can't make this one? No sweat. The party continues every Sunday through the summer.
We may not have summery traditions other than fleeing to places with summery traditions, but thanks to the folks at Tongue & Cheek, 431 Washington Ave., there's a hot new Tuesday night tradition. The Lobster Clambake is $35 per person and features traditional lobster clambake, New England clam 'chowda,' and New England craft beer. No parking the car in Harvard yard jokes, please.
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open
- Jazid celebrates 19 years, get literary with Judy Blume, Hyde Beach blacks out, PARK at LILT
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- An art heist, karaoke night, night swimming, Space Jamming & World Red Eye's big 05
- Summer in the city: DBGB, boozy fundraisers and bikini contests