Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
Rock on at Will Call Miami Friday night with 'Black Jacket' and get a rare glimpse of Craig Robins' personal art collection with PAMM Contemporaries
July's oppressive heat takes a more pleasant turn with a sizzling summer happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and from midnight to 4 a.m. on Friday and Saturday at Huahua's Taqueria, 1211 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Early birds and night owls will benefit from $3 Mexican beers, $4 housemade margaritas and $1 off any order of nachos. To turn up the heat and douse the nachos with chef Todd Erickson's signature hot sauces, which this columnist, a chili head hot sauce collector, has tasted and approved. Sweating it out has never been so delicious.
Little Havana Big Fun
New in the Little Havana neighborhood is The Duke Lounge/Gallery, 1547 SW 8th St., a bistro slash art space whose mission is to "promote good music and art and to cultivate an exquisite range of food and beverage." That's a lot of words to say "it's a cool place." Check out the coolness quotient yourself during its official grand opening 8 p.m. Saturday, July 12. In addition to the art, there will be entertainment by jazz pianist and songwriter Chantil Dukart as well as free wine and hors d'oeuvres. So why not, right? “Little Havana has a rich history of fostering art and culture and we are pleased to now be a part of this neighborhood and do our part to continue this tradition,” says co-owner Costa Grillas. “We hope The Duke will become a haven for artists and musicians and a place for lovers of painting and live music to gather and take it all in,” adds co-owner Johann Torres. As for the food, expect a menu of foie gras crostini, wild boar salami charcuterie platters, smoked bacon bit brucschetta, and more. There are also guava bellinis, craft beers and wines. But best of all? A standing offer for bottomless wine, beer or bellini at $20 per person. The Duke Lounge is open from 5 p.m. until midnight Wednesday through Saturday. 305.549.8586.
In all its iterations of pop, hip hop, disco, and assorted aural schlock, music's ever-evolving repertoire has one constant -- rock and roll. Paying homage to that is a North Miami quartet, "Black Jacket," whose sound has been described as both "rollicking and raw, fueled by a powerful rhythm section, invigorating guitar riffs and unforgettably melodic vocal hooks." In other words, they rock, and will prove it when they celebrate the release of a trio of songs with a big bash 10 p.m. Friday, July 11 at Will Call Miami, 700 NE 2nd Ave. Joining them are fellow rock bands, the modern metal "Loaded Guns" and female-fronted metal band "Oblivious Signal." No cover.
PAMM I Am, Are You?
Though you don't consider yourself a joiner and are more of a leader if anything, suck it up and join the PAMM Contemporaries, the cool group of young people who like culture, art, cocktails and being seen. For $200 a year, you get invites to fabulous Art Basel parties, openings and, for example, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday, July 12, the annual "Friendraiser" at Dacra's HQ, 3841 NE 2nd Ave., Miami. There, you'll get to check out The Craig Robins Collection of contemporary art, sip Grey Goose and Peroni and snack on food from The Cypress Room. After that, head to the actual The Cypress Room, 3620 NE 2nd Ave., for a free cocktail and, if you're one of those who likes to chase the party, end your night with free admission at Bardot, 3456 N. Miami Ave. See? Membership does have its privileges. To join, go to pamm.org/contemporaries.
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice