Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
ARTcade opens with old school video games, craft beer, plus hip art and Churchill's Pub rocks on
Celebrating its rich musical history with a day-long festival beginning at 11 a.m. and going all the way until the eve (7 p.m.), Overtown's Music & Arts Festival at NW 3rd Ave. between 8th and 11th Streets is free and open to the public Saturday, July 19. Featuring a headlining performance by R&B singer Raheem DeVaughn, who was nominated for a Grammy in 2008 for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for his single "Woman." In addition to DeVaughn, there will be performances by Keke Wyatt, Deep Fried Funk Band, Larry Dogg (no relation to Snoop Lion as far as we know) and more. For more information go to overtownmusicartsfestival.com.
It's that time again, the time of year when everyone in Miami is an expert in the swimwear biz and even if they're not, they pretend to be very serious when gawking at the shows. For those who are admittedly there just to party and admire the bodies beautiful, the exclusive Sunset Rendez Vous party will take up residency from 9 p.m. to midnight on Saturday, July 19 poolside at the W Hotel South Beach, 2201 Collins Ave. The party, sponsored by the deelish Whispering Angel Rose and Perrier, will feature fashion shows, entertainment, art and an allegedly "exclusive" guest list. To RSVP or at least inquire about whether or not you pass muster, email your full (real) name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guns 'n' Rose
Not all Swim Week parties are exclusive, snooty and allegedly VIP only. Take the one starting at 2 p.m. Saturday, July 19 at The Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Drive, for instance. Not only is it winning just for its cheeky name--Guns 'n' Rose--but it is open to the public, no cover and the fashionably early get free rose from 2 to 3 p.m. That, and free swim make for a cool party, Swim Week or otherwise. freehandmiami.com.
Instead of plastering your face to your cell phone while out and about, consider a beer and a 25 cent game of, say, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Frogger, Pac Man, Gallaga, Qbert and a host of other retro arcade games at South Beach's spanking new ARTcade, 235 12th St. Yep, housed in a former gallery, the lounge fuses classic arcade games, $1 pool games, art shows, craft beers and music. The walls are plastered with works by local artists--the first show, More Than 2, is by Venezuelan artist Nestor Paz. As for the games, there are more than 60 to choose from at the "multicade cocktail terminal." Game on. artcademiami.com.
Although Churchill's Pub, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., has been sold, the grit, grunge and grime of raucous rock and punk nights past live on with a new Thursday night party, Mods & Rockers, featuring live music by bands including The Crude Brood, Dyslexic Postcards, Pans Permia, Soundclass and Dennis Britt. Back porch tropical beats will be spun by Umber Bandi-Ville and audio provided by the legendary Rat Bastard. According to one of the night's promoters, the equally legendary Gary James, the night will be full of "Rock and roll old skool--the 60s on up to current English rock as well as motorcycles, models, fish and chips, a pint and a song." Cover is a very modish--er, modest $5. churchillspub.com.
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard