Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
Bury your ring with 'divorce coach' Debbie Martinez, Kill Your Idol toasts to four years, and Gerry Kelly hosts annual birthday party
Proving there is a means to an end, The Riviera Hotel, 2000 Liberty Ave., is the place to be from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, June 20 for a Divorce Party. Yep, hosted by 'divorce coach' Debbie Martinez, the party will feature live music, food, drinks and a candlelit vigil for a 'ring funeral' in which revelers will bury their wedding rings in a "keepsake divorce wedding ring casket." Women are also encouraged to bring their old wedding gowns to trade them for a "moving on box," featuring 10 kitschy divorce-related tchotchkes that aren't valuable enough to be involved in the split, but amusing enough to make said split something worth chuckling about.
Like, Totally '80s
When it comes to history, the regal Biltmore Hotel, 1200 Anastasia Ave., doesn't exactly evoke images of rubber band bracelets, skinny ties or mullets, though there is definitely some 1980s history in those walls. I mean, in two words, really: Miami Vice. To pay homage to that decade, the hotel is hosting an '80s theme dance party at 7 p.m. Friday, June 20 in the Granada Ballroom featuring DJ Aqua Girl. Cocktails, wine and a buffet are included with a $30 cover. RSVP is required as the last party--a disco one--sold out. Call 305-913-3230.
Ubiquity is so passe. Which is why former South Beach nightlife fixture Gerry Kelly lays low until his annual birthday celebration. This Saturday, June 21 at 10 p.m. at The Newport Beachside Resort and Hotel, 16701 Collins Ave., Kelly's Le Cirque Royale Celebration will take over for one night of pomp and circumstance. In addition to DJs NYX and Patrick Mohr spinning, there will be performers, stage shows and all sorts of distractions.
Mondays are a hard night to bedazzle, but leave it to the folks at Glitter Box Mondays to do just that--and not just for a night--for four years. In celebration of its four-year anniversary, the party from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, June 23 at Kill Your Idol, 222 Espanola Way, will feature a performance by RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 winner Bianca Del Rio, in addition to a bevy of the Box's beatmasters including Zehno, Latrice Perry and Troy Landon. There is no cover. Cover up, maybe, but no cover.
For those who appreciate the fact that a salon isn't just a place for hair and nails, YoungArts presents its Salon Series at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 26 on the 7th Floor Lounge (soon- to-be a Stephen Starr restaurant) at the 2100 Biscayne Blvd. building. This gathering of artsy folk will feature The Art of Collaboration, a fusion of the fine arts of renowned choreographer and NYC Ballet soloist Justin Peck and singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens. A discussion of the duo's recent work together, "Everywhere We Go" and "Year of the Rabbit" -- moderated by Alberto Ibargüen, President and CEO, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation -- will provide extra highlights that have nothing to do with peroxide. Tickets are $35 for general admission, $28 for members, and $20 for students with valid ID. To reserve, email RSVP@YoungArts.org or visit eventbrite.com.
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open