Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
GLAAD activist and transgender model Lauren Foster channels Versace with a new fashion forward party at Haven Lounge
Copious cocktails can make you do crazy things, among them, channeling your inner Beyonce. Hopefully this only happens during a cocktail-fueled karaoke session such as the one taking place from 5 p.m. until close Friday, Aug. 1 at Balans, UM Life Science & Technology Park, 1951 NW 7th Ave., Ste. 150, Miami. There, you can prep with $3 beers, $5 glasses of wine and $6.95 signature cocktails while fueling up with $5 spring rolls, tuna tartar, turkey meatballs and ribs. Singing is optional, but highly encouraged. University of Miami students will get an extra 10 percent off with their student ID cards. Drunk in love? No, please, no. For more information, call 305-534-9191.
Back in time to coordinate with the steaming summer is db Bistro Moderne's DBQ Happy Hour from 5 to 8 p.m. daily in the lounge and on the terrace (inside the JW Marriott Marquis, 255 Biscayne Blvd. Way, Miami). On Fridays you can even hang out with Executive Chef Jason Pringle as he mans the grill and shares his grilling tips with guests. In addition to a stellar menu of grilled oysters, shrimp paella and baby back ribs, happy hour prices are available for all cocktails. The 'que runs through Friday, Aug. 29. Valet parking is $5 with validation, so don't get smoked on that and make sure you get stamped.
Crazy, Sexy, Cool
So, Miami-based Italian artist/photographer Anna E. Pedron Braña is exhibiting her work at Dante Alighieri Society, 300 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, Aug. 1 - 15. When we asked her to describe her aesthetic, she gave us a description much better than one we could write… "The art? Vibrant, colorful, full of life and feeling. Abstract. A bit psychedelic, I guess, mixed with pop art. Could be taken as sexy and crazy or such a violent femme." Sounds like you'll have to go experience it for yourself. If you do go, try to meet the artist at the opening reception from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1. In addition to her intriguing art, wine and charcuterie will be served at the foreign language school.
GLAAD activist and transgender model Lauren Foster hosts #VersaceVersaceVersace, a every-other-week party starting 10 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7 at Haven Lounge, 1237 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. The event, what will be a magnet for the demimonde, celebrates "the unique ability of the clothing to connect individuals from across racial, sexual and political lines," says Foster's boyfriend slash underwear model Johnathan Myers. "We are branding a party that is decadent and outrageous. We want people to have a place to wear expensive couture items that don't typically have a place in everyday society. We also want a place for young designers to express themselves and network. Miami is experiencing a renaissance and we expect the art and fashion communities to step up!" And, please do step up if you plan to go. "It kills us to see these lines leading into clubs with every guy in a button up shirt looking like he's on a job interview. I hope what we are doing will create an atmosphere of togetherness and put Miami where it deserves to be creatively." Togetherness, unbuttoned, of course.
- Moonlighting, whisky, Nicola's big 5-0, booze, books & Jacko
- Boozy brunches, dinner parties, rappers and night swimming
- Naked or neon with Nick at the Thompson; Boy George spins WALL; Nat'l Rum Day & David Foster Wallace
- Hialeah homecomings, Shots in Wynwood, Women at Wolfsonian & Goobers at Gramps
- Havana nights @ Regent, Disco Inferno 2.0 @Cameo, an art auction in Wynwood & full moon celebrations
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches