Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
Watch boxing at Wonderland, jam to Miami music at the North Beach Bandshell, and a new happy hour hits Coral Gables
Not every weight loss champ ends up hawking for Jenny Craig. Others just go on to a bigger sort of ring, literally. Like two-time heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs, who's in the process of making a comeback and, in the meantime, will host the Pacquiao v. Bradley fight at 9 p.m. Saturday, April 12 at the strip club Wonderland, 7770 Biscayne Blvd. Cover is $20 unless you reserve a table via the Wonderland Hot Line, 305-631-2564. In addition to the testosterone-spirited crowd, a kinder, gentler kind of spirit, Friends Fun Wine, is free to females before 11 p.m.
Returning Saturday, April 12 is the North Beach Bandshell Concert Series, this time featuring the Miami debut of emerging Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez and local Afro-galactic psychedelic jam sextet the Nag Champayons, along with the Miami chapter of talented youth group School of Rock and guest DJ Ephniko Dialecto. Originally from La Habana, Cuba, Suarez most recently won a Premio Lucas for the song "Fly" in the Best Hip Hop Video category. “We are happy to be producing Danay’s first-ever Miami Beach show” says CAC’s executive and artistic director Jose Elias. “As the DATB concert series continues to grow, so does the caliber of artists. The type of artistry that Suarez embodies is unique in that it truly comes from a higher state of consciousness and understanding of purpose. She is the kind of artist that only arrives once in a lifetime,” adds Elias. Starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10.
Frita Be You & Me
Know where your bread is buttered during a new Monday through Friday happy hour at Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter, 2330 Salzedo St., Coral Gables, where from 5 to 7 p.m., there's a $3 cocktail of the week, half-priced wines and draft beers, and $3, $4 and $5 snacks including Hialeah-style warm peanut cones and fried chicken thighs. On Fridays, sink your teeth into $3 fritas such as the double bacon. Happy hour we hardly recognize you.
Locked & Loaded
Do you know where you were when One Direction first came to the U.S.? Either do we. In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' historic arrival in the U.S., tribute band The Beethose, fronted by Miami singer/songwriter Jim Camacho and featuring members of The Super Fuzz, will perform the entire Revolver album note for note starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, April 12 at Will Call, 700 NE 2nd Ave., Miami; No cover.
While everyone's idea of a surrealistic experience may be an individual one that's hard to explain, from 9 to 11 p.m. Saturday, April 12 at Hyde Beach at the SLS Hotel, 1701 Collins Ave., the common thread will be that The American Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division along with Social Exposure hope their Surreal Garden Party will raise good money for Bullyproof Initiative against bullying. A $40 ticket includes cocktails, cupcakes, cigars and "surreal entertainment." Because it's for a good cause, we won't even question it. For every $40 ticket sold, $12 will go to the charity. Buy tickets online.
- Sake, beer, oysters and Basel, Art Basel
- Rok'n burgers on 73rd St., rockin' authors hit Rock Bottom at Arsht, Dom at The Dutch & Sweet Liberty's sweet deal
- LUCKYRICE at the Raleigh, PIG in Wynwood, a pre-Pride Soiree & showboating on Fisher Island with the Pointer Sisters
- New lounges, poolside rap parties, free concerts, food fetes & dinner with Uncle Luke
- Spooky, boozy, cool: Halloween week in Miami and beyond
- Scary movies, Hitchcocking, Miami bassing & spooky mansion parties
- Miami's booze & boogie scene heats up with a new club & more reasons to eat, drink & be merry
- Touchdowns (you hope), tequila, cheese, pre-game parties and boozing in the Grove
- Cabarets, supper clubs, oysters, bubbles, beer gardens, yoga & house music all night long
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing