Nicky's Week, Color a Cause and a Sublime Getaway
Celebrate Nicky's Week at RA Sushi, get colorful at Color a Cause and run out of town if you can't handle the crowds.
Starting Sunday May 26 and continuing through Saturday, June 1, Ra Sushi, (5829 SW 73rd St., South Miami), hosts its 9th annual Nicky's Week fundraiser benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. During that time, the sushi spot will donate 100 percent of the proceeds from sales of a variety of designated food and drink. For once, it's ok to be self-indulgent. Go nuts.
Haven't made plans to flee town for Memorial Day but can't fathom sticking around for the usual madness? Consider a short drive to the W Fort Lauderdale (401 N. Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd.) which, at noon Monday, May 27, will kick off its Sublime Pool Party Series that usually runs on Sundays. The party will feature DJ Mark Gallo, mojito and margarita pitchers or Whispering Angel Rose until the sun goes down. No cover charge.
C'mon Get Happy
Although some of the condos in the South of Fifth hood may be exorbitantly priced, cocktails thankfully are not always commensurate with condo pricing. Take The Flat, (500 S. Pointe Dr., Miami Beach), for instance, whose new Very Happy Hour(s) from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday will feature weekly rotations of signature cocktails, craft beer and wine specials priced between $5 and $8. A bargain! This way you can save your money to pay those sky high mortgages and rents.
Speaking of Rent
The Social Lounge of Wynwood (167 NW 23rd St.) is paying homage to the roaring '20s not with the usual prohibition parties, but with a Rent Party reminiscent of the old school Harlem Social parties thrown to help pay the bills. The party takes place on the last Saturday of every month assuming that, of course, the place --or its patrons--pays its own rent.
Color Me Rad
Artist Joey Mugica, better known as The Color Queen, casts a charitable hue on The Hoxton (1111 SW First St., Miami) with his 2nd Annual Color A Cause, 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, benefiting Neat Stuff For Kids, a non-profit that provides new clothing and accessories to disadvantaged children. The event will feature Mugica’s takes on his hand selected, so-called Power 20 featuring the likes of, ahem, humbly, this writer, WSVN anchor Craig Stevens, photographer Jipsy, and a slew of socialites, scenesters and colorful characters. The event, hosted by NBC anchor Roxanne Vargas will also feature food, bubbly and a performance by soulstress Maryel Epps. Tickets are $25 in advance and $40 at the door. For more information go to www.coloracause2013-eac.eventbrite.com.
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open
- Jazid celebrates 19 years, get literary with Judy Blume, Hyde Beach blacks out, PARK at LILT
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- An art heist, karaoke night, night swimming, Space Jamming & World Red Eye's big 05
- Summer in the city: DBGB, boozy fundraisers and bikini contests
- Sommelier Slam, Thea's Supper Club, Tito Puente, Jr. and YoungArts paints the town
- Nahko and Medicine for the People at Grand Central, Dance Band Night, Electric Piquete & Buck 15 Redux
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness