Full Moon Party, Overtown Music Project fundraiser, Rec Room opening and the Ladies of Manure
Velvet Underground: Overtown Music Project hosts fundraiser, Rec Room opens with a bang and the Ladies of Manure calendar hosts a (poop free) party.
Moon's Gone Wild
Now that all the resolutions have been broken it's time to unleash your inner hedonist at the Delano Beach Club's Full Moon party from 9 p.m. until "late" on Saturday, January 26. Among the entertainment: a "ceremonious drum circle," fire dancers, DJ Ess & Emm, Danny Santiago and Dave Sol and free Beck's Sapphire from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. For table and cabana reservations call 305-924-4071.
We're Down with OMP
Celebrating old school and new is the Overtown Music Project's annual fundraiser at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 26 at LIV at the Fontainebleau, where a mash up of an 18-piece big band with hip hop, funk and soul, plus DJ Maceo from De La Soul will be among the highlights. The party, featuring Grey Goose cocktails, is a tribute to "the swank juke joints that lined the streets of Overtown and the greatest African American performers of their era." Tickets are $60 in advance and $75 at the door. To buy, go to www.eventbrite.com.
Rec 'n' Effect
Hipsters have a new place in which to twirl their 'staches--The Gale South Beach's Rec Room, in all its wood paneled retro-fab glory and run by former Florida Room fave Josh Wagner. The '70s basement meets NYC's No. 8 (NYC nightlife stalwart and LDV Hospitality Brand partner Amy Sacco is a partner, along with Miami managing partner Wagner) is, they say, “a tribute to the nightspots that put Miami on the map.” And while that may be a dubious statement considering the whole retro thing was never Miami's forte, the place is pretty swell, with refurbished stereos and over 3,000 actual vinyl records as decor. Best of all, no lofty door policies (allegedly) or cover charges. "The EDMclub scene is more popular now than ever, which has left a void for that good old, down and dirty, relaxed, and laid back Miami Beach vibe. The Rec Room, taking inspiration from your uncle's 70's basement, offers just that. It brings back the care free swagger of the 70s with all of the sex appeal of the nightlife scene today without the pretense," said LDV Hospitality co-founder John Meadow.
There's a lot of BS in this town, but there's nothing like The Ladies of Manure 2013 calendar - we kid you not - debuting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, January 25 at Cafeina Wynwood Lounge, where the calendar's beneficiary, The Fertile Earth Foundation (suddenly it starts to make sense) will host a party and preview with much poop and circumstance. Sorry, couldn't resist. The $25 calendar features half naked women covered in, yep, manure, and it's aimed at raising funds and awareness of, well, waste. Not everything is related to fecal matter, however, though we do think Al Roker would have made an excellent surprise guest. Happy hour specials include $2 sliders and $3 brews. RSVP to email@example.com
- Free Whiskey, rooftop revelry & parties for those who love and couldn't care less about the Super Bowl
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood
- Ballers: National YoungArts, The Big Lebowski, Digweed & more!
- The same auld lang syne: New Year's Day pool parties, bowl game boozing & National YoungArts Week
- That's so 2015: Velvet Underground does New Year's Eve
- Matzo Balling, High End Hookahs, Electric Piquete at Woody's & the Weeknd's After Party
- Justin Bieber's surprise visit--and performance--at Wall
- Art, music, booze, cartoons & sado masochism! It's not Art Basel anymore, it's just good ol' Miami