Full Moon Party, Overtown Music Project fundraiser, Rec Room opening and the Ladies of Manure
Velvet Underground: Overtown Music Project hosts fundraiser, Rec Room opens with a bang and the Ladies of Manure calendar hosts a (poop free) party.
Moon's Gone Wild
Now that all the resolutions have been broken it's time to unleash your inner hedonist at the Delano Beach Club's Full Moon party from 9 p.m. until "late" on Saturday, January 26. Among the entertainment: a "ceremonious drum circle," fire dancers, DJ Ess & Emm, Danny Santiago and Dave Sol and free Beck's Sapphire from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. For table and cabana reservations call 305-924-4071.
We're Down with OMP
Celebrating old school and new is the Overtown Music Project's annual fundraiser at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 26 at LIV at the Fontainebleau, where a mash up of an 18-piece big band with hip hop, funk and soul, plus DJ Maceo from De La Soul will be among the highlights. The party, featuring Grey Goose cocktails, is a tribute to "the swank juke joints that lined the streets of Overtown and the greatest African American performers of their era." Tickets are $60 in advance and $75 at the door. To buy, go to www.eventbrite.com.
Rec 'n' Effect
Hipsters have a new place in which to twirl their 'staches--The Gale South Beach's Rec Room, in all its wood paneled retro-fab glory and run by former Florida Room fave Josh Wagner. The '70s basement meets NYC's No. 8 (NYC nightlife stalwart and LDV Hospitality Brand partner Amy Sacco is a partner, along with Miami managing partner Wagner) is, they say, “a tribute to the nightspots that put Miami on the map.” And while that may be a dubious statement considering the whole retro thing was never Miami's forte, the place is pretty swell, with refurbished stereos and over 3,000 actual vinyl records as decor. Best of all, no lofty door policies (allegedly) or cover charges. "The EDMclub scene is more popular now than ever, which has left a void for that good old, down and dirty, relaxed, and laid back Miami Beach vibe. The Rec Room, taking inspiration from your uncle's 70's basement, offers just that. It brings back the care free swagger of the 70s with all of the sex appeal of the nightlife scene today without the pretense," said LDV Hospitality co-founder John Meadow.
There's a lot of BS in this town, but there's nothing like The Ladies of Manure 2013 calendar - we kid you not - debuting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, January 25 at Cafeina Wynwood Lounge, where the calendar's beneficiary, The Fertile Earth Foundation (suddenly it starts to make sense) will host a party and preview with much poop and circumstance. Sorry, couldn't resist. The $25 calendar features half naked women covered in, yep, manure, and it's aimed at raising funds and awareness of, well, waste. Not everything is related to fecal matter, however, though we do think Al Roker would have made an excellent surprise guest. Happy hour specials include $2 sliders and $3 brews. RSVP to email@example.com
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano