Full Moon Party, Overtown Music Project fundraiser, Rec Room opening and the Ladies of Manure
Velvet Underground: Overtown Music Project hosts fundraiser, Rec Room opens with a bang and the Ladies of Manure calendar hosts a (poop free) party.
Moon's Gone Wild
Now that all the resolutions have been broken it's time to unleash your inner hedonist at the Delano Beach Club's Full Moon party from 9 p.m. until "late" on Saturday, January 26. Among the entertainment: a "ceremonious drum circle," fire dancers, DJ Ess & Emm, Danny Santiago and Dave Sol and free Beck's Sapphire from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. For table and cabana reservations call 305-924-4071.
We're Down with OMP
Celebrating old school and new is the Overtown Music Project's annual fundraiser at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 26 at LIV at the Fontainebleau, where a mash up of an 18-piece big band with hip hop, funk and soul, plus DJ Maceo from De La Soul will be among the highlights. The party, featuring Grey Goose cocktails, is a tribute to "the swank juke joints that lined the streets of Overtown and the greatest African American performers of their era." Tickets are $60 in advance and $75 at the door. To buy, go to www.eventbrite.com.
Rec 'n' Effect
Hipsters have a new place in which to twirl their 'staches--The Gale South Beach's Rec Room, in all its wood paneled retro-fab glory and run by former Florida Room fave Josh Wagner. The '70s basement meets NYC's No. 8 (NYC nightlife stalwart and LDV Hospitality Brand partner Amy Sacco is a partner, along with Miami managing partner Wagner) is, they say, “a tribute to the nightspots that put Miami on the map.” And while that may be a dubious statement considering the whole retro thing was never Miami's forte, the place is pretty swell, with refurbished stereos and over 3,000 actual vinyl records as decor. Best of all, no lofty door policies (allegedly) or cover charges. "The EDMclub scene is more popular now than ever, which has left a void for that good old, down and dirty, relaxed, and laid back Miami Beach vibe. The Rec Room, taking inspiration from your uncle's 70's basement, offers just that. It brings back the care free swagger of the 70s with all of the sex appeal of the nightlife scene today without the pretense," said LDV Hospitality co-founder John Meadow.
There's a lot of BS in this town, but there's nothing like The Ladies of Manure 2013 calendar - we kid you not - debuting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, January 25 at Cafeina Wynwood Lounge, where the calendar's beneficiary, The Fertile Earth Foundation (suddenly it starts to make sense) will host a party and preview with much poop and circumstance. Sorry, couldn't resist. The $25 calendar features half naked women covered in, yep, manure, and it's aimed at raising funds and awareness of, well, waste. Not everything is related to fecal matter, however, though we do think Al Roker would have made an excellent surprise guest. Happy hour specials include $2 sliders and $3 brews. RSVP to email@example.com
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore
- Santana at Trump, Purim, a Wall Brawl in Wynwood and the Shelley Novak Awards!
- FDR & Electric Pickle Anniversary Bashes, Battioke, Rolling Loud & Fools' Paradise at Churchill's