Pulse at the New World Center, Mozart and Big Brooklyn Red
Pulse at the New World Center, Mozart and Big Brooklyn Red.
New World Symphony was hip way before its Frank Gehry-designed campus. But for those unfamiliar with its coolness, NWS has revamped its PULSE series as Pulse 2.0, a late(r) night to do taking place starting at 9:30 p.m. at the New World Center. The event features DJ Sean Drake, Miami's native soprano Elaine Alvarez, and NWS fellows performing compositions from American and Latin American composers. All this music culminates with a post-performance dance club set until 1:30 a.m. and, at 11:15 a.m. on the SunTrust Pavilion, Pulse Unplugged, in which fellows will perform ensemble pieces sans amplification (take that, AutoTune) for a 15-minute concert. Admission is free to NWS members and $25 for nonmembers. For membership information, call 305-428-6733.
Amadeus at Night
SoBe Institute of the Arts wants to serenade you, by candlelight, to the tunes of the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. No strings attached other than those on some of the instruments. Starting at 6 p.m. Saturday, January 19 at 2100 Washington Ave., there will be a pre-concert talk by the folks at Art Speaks, discussing a scandalous, salacious topic: "Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin killed Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart." Following the talk is a concert by the SoBe Arts Chamber Ensemble and a wine and cheese reception. The event and parking at the Miami Beach Convention Center north parking lot via Washington Ave. are free! For more information go to sobearts.org.
Topless to Bottomless
The Stage doesn't want to see empty glasses on Thursdays, but for some reason they decided to name their night Topless Thursdays--we wonder why, hmmm. Chalk it up to semantics or gratuitous advertising, because the supersonic Design District spot wants to top off your drinks all night long, with $5 well drinks and $3 Coronas and Miller Lites. A topless drink is rock bottom, much like these prices. DJ GFunk spins and the "Jello Shot Girlz", uh, shoot. Topping off starts at 10 p.m. Top and bottom, yes, but no cover.
Jazz crooner Big Brooklyn Red celebrates his 40th birthday at 10 p.m. Thursday, January 24 with a big jam session with The Magic City 3 at Avenue D Jazz and Blues Lounge, 8 S. Miami Ave. For more information, go to www.avenuedjazz.com.
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore
- Santana at Trump, Purim, a Wall Brawl in Wynwood and the Shelley Novak Awards!
- FDR & Electric Pickle Anniversary Bashes, Battioke, Rolling Loud & Fools' Paradise at Churchill's