Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
Dubstep DJ Borgore performs at Mansion, The High Note Jazz Club plays at Cuba Ocho, the 7th annual Everglades Benefit Concert, and a bloody mary brunch at the Mondrian
Unicorn Zombie Apocalypse
That got your attention, as will bass music's enfant terrible BORGORE, Israeli EDM producer, singer, DJ and founder of, yep, the Israeli deathcore band Shabira. But things aren't going to be as gloomy when this dubstepper's two-month tour passes through Miami in celebration of the release of his more, er, uplifting track, Unicorn Zombie Apocalypse at 11 p.m. Friday, May 9 at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach. Tickets are $30. For more information, go to songkick.com.
On a High Note
The demise of the Van Dyke Cafe has not silenced the So Flo jazz scene, which has found more promising pastures far from the commercial din of Lincoln Road. One such place, in fact, is The High Note Jazz Club at Cuba Ocho Art and Research Center, 1465 SW 8th St., in Little Havana. It's like a museum with every inch of wall space covered by classic Cuban art (1850 - 1958) and there's even a ridiculously well-stocked rum bar for extra authenticity. Shows start at 9 p.m. every Friday night. Cover is $10 for adults and $7 for students with ID. Performing May 9 is Three Leaf Trio; on May 16 it's the Nicole Yarling Quartet.
You don't have to be a python hunter or a Discovery Channel enthusiast to appreciate the Everglades. You can also be a live music lover with an aversion to mosquitoes, at least from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, May 10 when Ploppy Palace Productions joins forces with the Miccosukee Tribe to host the "7th Annual Everglades Benefit," a concert raising awareness and funds for Everglades protection and public education at 7th Circuit Productions, 228 NE 59th St., Miami. That's as wild as it gets. The three-stage soiree for environmentalists of all ages will feature musical performances by the likes of Afrobeta, Nature's Fury, Grand Livingston, the Prolific Minimalists, the Osceola Brothers Band, and more. There will also be spoken word and dance performances, community speakers, politicians, artists, and vendors. Proceeds from the night and the $10 admission will go to the "Love the Everglades Moment." For more information, go to gofundme.com.
Brunch, it's What's to Drink
In partnership with pro skater Joel Meinholz (who's recovering from a severe injury to his hand) and Kid Inc., the duo known as Veni Vidi Vici will be hosting a special edition of the Mondrian South Beach's (1100 West Ave.) weekly "Dig'In" brunch party from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 10 featuring an "over-the-top Bloody Mary bar," a live broadcast of the 200th episode of Laura of Miami's Vamos a la Playa radio show, DJs Tom Laroc and Mr. Brown, and food, lots of food. For those who don't eat, there's swimming and spirits. Reservations: email@example.com or 305-514-1940.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo