Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
Dubstep DJ Borgore performs at Mansion, The High Note Jazz Club plays at Cuba Ocho, the 7th annual Everglades Benefit Concert, and a bloody mary brunch at the Mondrian
Unicorn Zombie Apocalypse
That got your attention, as will bass music's enfant terrible BORGORE, Israeli EDM producer, singer, DJ and founder of, yep, the Israeli deathcore band Shabira. But things aren't going to be as gloomy when this dubstepper's two-month tour passes through Miami in celebration of the release of his more, er, uplifting track, Unicorn Zombie Apocalypse at 11 p.m. Friday, May 9 at Mansion, 1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach. Tickets are $30. For more information, go to songkick.com.
On a High Note
The demise of the Van Dyke Cafe has not silenced the So Flo jazz scene, which has found more promising pastures far from the commercial din of Lincoln Road. One such place, in fact, is The High Note Jazz Club at Cuba Ocho Art and Research Center, 1465 SW 8th St., in Little Havana. It's like a museum with every inch of wall space covered by classic Cuban art (1850 - 1958) and there's even a ridiculously well-stocked rum bar for extra authenticity. Shows start at 9 p.m. every Friday night. Cover is $10 for adults and $7 for students with ID. Performing May 9 is Three Leaf Trio; on May 16 it's the Nicole Yarling Quartet.
You don't have to be a python hunter or a Discovery Channel enthusiast to appreciate the Everglades. You can also be a live music lover with an aversion to mosquitoes, at least from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday, May 10 when Ploppy Palace Productions joins forces with the Miccosukee Tribe to host the "7th Annual Everglades Benefit," a concert raising awareness and funds for Everglades protection and public education at 7th Circuit Productions, 228 NE 59th St., Miami. That's as wild as it gets. The three-stage soiree for environmentalists of all ages will feature musical performances by the likes of Afrobeta, Nature's Fury, Grand Livingston, the Prolific Minimalists, the Osceola Brothers Band, and more. There will also be spoken word and dance performances, community speakers, politicians, artists, and vendors. Proceeds from the night and the $10 admission will go to the "Love the Everglades Moment." For more information, go to gofundme.com.
Brunch, it's What's to Drink
In partnership with pro skater Joel Meinholz (who's recovering from a severe injury to his hand) and Kid Inc., the duo known as Veni Vidi Vici will be hosting a special edition of the Mondrian South Beach's (1100 West Ave.) weekly "Dig'In" brunch party from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 10 featuring an "over-the-top Bloody Mary bar," a live broadcast of the 200th episode of Laura of Miami's Vamos a la Playa radio show, DJs Tom Laroc and Mr. Brown, and food, lots of food. For those who don't eat, there's swimming and spirits. Reservations: email@example.com or 305-514-1940.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale