Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island
J. Cole hosts a party in South Beach, DJ Diamond D's new album drops at The Stage, LMNT Gallery hosts a night of painting in the nude, and Cinco at The Jungle
Hip-hop star J. Cole will be hosting a party at Adoré, 2000 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, Friday, May 2 before heading out on his second annual Dollar & A Dream tour. Doors open at 11 p.m. While there's no cover, entry is, says a PR rep, "at the doorman's discretion."
Cuts and Clarity
Bronx-based producer/DJ Diamond D has worked with everyone from KRS-One and the Fugees to Mos Def and House of Pain. At 10 p.m. Friday, May 2, the first compilation album of his career, titled "The Diam Piece," will be shared at a listening party at The Stage Miami, 170 NE 38th St. “Diamond D is a legend in the world of hip-hop production and we’re excited about hosting him on a night when his illustrious career will be celebrated and his dope new release is previewed,” said CEO of Addictive Affairs Harold Mazzotti (aka DJ Heron), who's one of the night’s organizers and presenting sponsors. “I’ve never worked with Heron before,” said Diamond, “but I'm really looking forward to our event at The Stage Miami." Tickets are $10 in advance at wantickets.com or $15 at the door.
Body of Work
Putting the "ass" in canvas, The Naked Painting Party in Wynwood is exactly what it sounds like: your body doubles as a blank canvas and you hope you don't get paint where it doesn't belong. This party has several rules, including "respect people's privacy," "keep an even guy-girl ratio if attending in a group," "no showers at the venue," and "please show up in clothing you do not care about." From 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Saturday, May 3 at LMNT Gallery, 59 NW 36th St. Tickets are $35 at the door and include cocktails. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As offensive as fedoras have become on anyone but, say, Justin Timberlake and a dead Rat Pack member, there's nothing wrong with wearing silly hats on Saturday, May 3 at 5 p.m., when the Kentucky Derby makes all sorts of pomp more acceptable. Wear a hat (or not) to Tongue & Cheek's (431 Washington Ave., Miami Beach) second annual Kentucky Derby Party featuring the obligatory yet far from ordinary mint juleps, Kentucky Hot Browns and Derby Pie. Oh, and a live broadcast of the race, too. There will also be prizes for the best and most creative hats. Fedoras beware.
Bungle in the Jungle
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo a day early, from 4 to 11 p.m. Sunday at Jungle Island (1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, Miami) during "Cinco at the Jungle." The party features a "non-stop experience combining animal encounters with concerts, food, spirits, and even a little Mexican wrestling action." Among the DJs spinning: Irie and RetroKidd. Live performances by Cris Cab, Jared Dylan and La Linea. A food truck alley, curated by Sef "Burger Beast" Gonzalez, will provide the fare while mechanical bull rides and "multiple beers and a variety of flavored margaritas" will help make it hard to separate the party animals from the zoo animals. All that along with "mini-Mexican wrestlers" and late night animal shows will make for a rip-roaring Cuatro de Mayo. Tickets are $58 - $90 at brickellfestival.com.
- Sake, beer, oysters and Basel, Art Basel
- Rok'n burgers on 73rd St., rockin' authors hit Rock Bottom at Arsht, Dom at The Dutch & Sweet Liberty's sweet deal
- LUCKYRICE at the Raleigh, PIG in Wynwood, a pre-Pride Soiree & showboating on Fisher Island with the Pointer Sisters
- New lounges, poolside rap parties, free concerts, food fetes & dinner with Uncle Luke
- Spooky, boozy, cool: Halloween week in Miami and beyond
- Scary movies, Hitchcocking, Miami bassing & spooky mansion parties
- Miami's booze & boogie scene heats up with a new club & more reasons to eat, drink & be merry
- Touchdowns (you hope), tequila, cheese, pre-game parties and boozing in the Grove
- Cabarets, supper clubs, oysters, bubbles, beer gardens, yoga & house music all night long
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing